Converting 12' Illusion to pedal-power prop drive

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tinhorn, Aug 3, 2010.

1. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

So I stumbled across this cute little hull that the owner was going to take to the dump. It seemed it would make a great human-powered project because of the slippery hull design.

My question is about the keel. The owner told me that as a girl she'd fill the keel with lead shot, then go racing. Now to me it seems that if I don't have the wind blowing on a sail, trying to tip over my boat, I don't need that extra weight, and possibly not all that depth in the keel. Since I'd use it on a river that rises and falls several feet each day, I don't want the hull any deeper than necessary, but I REALLY don't want to tip over. So how much could I safely shorten that keel?

The boat driver sits inside the boat with their head sticking out. Looks perfect for a twisted chain drive.

Attached Files:

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

NO-please! She'd be such a great little boat if restored with her proper rig.... But if you're absolutely determined you could lose the keel but would have to have some lead ballast in the bilge to float properly. It would behoove you to see if you could find a way to contact the designer to run this by him. After he stops crying he could advise on the increase in height of the CG and its potential affect on stability. Just guessing, I'd say it would be ok-but I guessed at a little kayak once and it wanted to roll over. Know before you cut.
    If you can't find the designer you could run this by Mark Bryant who is sort of a guru in the International 2.4 meter Class-a very similar boat that he builds.

http://www.markbryantsailing.com/mbs_index.php

3. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Ok, no cutting. I didn't know these still had value to anyone--I read somewhere that racing these little boats was passe. Upon more boat-gazing, I determined I'd need the keel as-is in order to help protect the prop.

I promise not to do anything to the hull that can't be undone at a later date.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Wise move... I'd like to see what you finally come up with-good luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.