Are Conga plans too old to be practical?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by penguinjuggler, Nov 26, 2011.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Hannu has some interesting ideas and small boat designs but as far as I know he doesn't have anything intended for sailing. For sailing you would need a mast step, rudder, a daggerboard and trunk or a leeboard, and some stiffening in the hull to withstand sailing forces. Hannu's boats are somewhat basic and I would prefer to see some built-in buoyancy for safety. Couple more sites here:
    http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/freedes.htm
    http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/

2. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Junior Member

unless i missed it, the OP didn't say anything about sailing. those are also good reccomendations though

3. ancient kayaker

- true but all the designs referenced are sailboats!

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've sailed a Petrel as a kid. It was a well balanced boat, without any real vices. Of course it wouldn't offer the preformance I'd expect from a modern craft of similar dimension, but not a bad choice for a first boat. This said, not the best choice for a first build, mostly because the plans need some conversion for modern techniques and materials. If going to this trouble, you might as well just select a set of plans that already have this incorporated into them.

5. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Junior Member

your internet-fu surpasses mine. :D

6. ancient kayaker

- I cheated; I looked! God bless the Internet, our very own virtual substitute for experience and knowledge of all kinds . . .

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I always liked the Petrel. It seems like it would be a well behaved boat.

8. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I was once an impecunious college student so I can feel your pain. In those days, long ago, I was more interested in fast motorcycles and fast women, but I could afford neither.

In order to get you going I will send you the plans for a Penguin class boat. I do not recommend that course of action but as I say, I feel your pain.

I do recommend that you bite the bullet (a low calibre bullet) and dial up Payson boats. Pay for the plan sets that you choose. They are cheap and practical. There are two of them that can get you afloat while staying within your budget. The two are; "Cartopper" for a minimal boat and "Gypsy" for a bigger boat. You can google either of those to find the appraisals of past builders. They may not be the ultimate boats but they are more than competant and cheap and easy to build. Building time is very quick for either of these. Sails for both are very modestly priced from Payson.

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I was saddened to read that Dynamite Payson died last spring, and shocked to realize that he was 82 years old. Makes me realize I'm not as young as I used to be, either.

Is his business continuing without him?

10. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

The mast & sails represent a large item of expenditure and Polytarp is a reasonable option. I would favour a lateen rig, but that is just me. On Gran Canaria, they've taken the rig to extraordinary heights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TtcZjAuF4A

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

My understanding is that Dennis Hansen, a long time friend and associate has taken over the operational aspects and Dynamite's son Neil will also be in the mix, possably in an administrative fashion. If interested in HH Payson plans, you'll still receive the top notch customer service Dynamite was famous for.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.