Compac 16 Total Weight?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by MartinJ, Jul 1, 2004.

1. MartinJ

MartinJ New Member

Hi All,

I'm new here, so I apologize if I'm making a huge blunder with this post.

I'm considering buying a 1977 Com-Pac 16, and I'd like to know the total weight of the boat (to determine if I will be able to tow it on the trailer with my vehicle.)

I know that the displacement is 1,100 pounds, but can anyone tell me what the boat itself (hull, mast, rigging, sails, etc.) weighs? Or, is the total weight equal to the displacement?

For towing purposes, I'm allowing 500 lbs for the trailer, but I need to know the weight of the boat to determine the total towing weight.

(I would appreciate an answer via e-mail, since I don't really have any business in this forum in general.)

Thanks!
    Martin
    Chico, California
    mwallace1@csuchico.edu

2. SeaDrive

SeaDrive Senior Member

I think that life is made easier by hitch standards. You are going to want a hitch rated at 2000 lbs. I suspect that your guess about trailer weight is high, and the total towing weight will be about 1500lbs, but that's not a standard and you would want to round up.

If you don't already have the trailer, then pick one that's recommended for the 1100lbs. That would be one of the main reasons for the manufacturer to quote a number. Don't round up very much or the springs will be too stiff and punish the boat more than necessary.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.