Check out this used boat (Ranger 22)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Canracer, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I'm not just "looking someplace else," I'm looking everyplace else.

I got a brief look at the jib, it's crisp but badly discolored. I didn't see the main because I must have become distracted, and the jib was not unrolled. The sail inspection was pretty weak (my fault.)

I'm accepting this whole thing as a learning experience right now. I don't think my crew would forgive me if I bought that boat. I'm on thin ice already.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

You know, sometimes I think I might have already learned that lesson (the hard way.)

3. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I wonder about this cockpit design. Does anyone know the reasoning behind the layout of this cockpit? (Why do the benches stop at the tiller and then big square sections continue aft?)

[​IMG]

4. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Here are the last pictures I have. The chain plates looked solid considering their age. They're bolted into the "sink and stove" elements of the interior. The fiberglass looks rugged and it's bonded to the hull nicely. I'd trust this off shore, although the bolts should be upgraded.

The paint is barely attach and it looks bad, but stick your face right in there and the solid construction is evident. (The white squares are something strange my camera decided to try.)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

All the keel bolts feed through this steel plate. This area is wet 24/7.
    [​IMG]

On deck I stepped out to the side, and then shifted back to the center line in order to give the boat a little rolling motion.

When the boat rolled back to flat it made a terrible groaning sound. It was a very strange noise. The internal water line is half way up the nuts. (you can see it if you look close.)
    [​IMG]

Here is a close look at the bolt ends. To the untrained eye they look strong but I'd almost guarantee a serious issue lurks beneath. (Hence the groaning.)
    [​IMG]

Is the green stuff a good sign?
    [​IMG]

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Those chain plates do need backing plates, but I think you've seen enough to tell you what you want to know. The real question is how objective can you be, or are you in love with what you can do to this old gal already . . .

7. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Actually the owner called me today to ask if I was still interested.

I said, I took advice from people who are smarted than me, and I'm looking for more expensive boats that could be less expensive in the long run. The owner said that she completely understood.

It's a cool boat, but I had to convince my ego (Mr. "I can fix anything") that this boat was just way to far gone.

Thank you to everyone whom contributed to this thread. I had a great time and learned a few things at the same time.

8. PAR

Where is this puppy (like I need another project, right), if fairly close, I might have a look. Send me an email with the current price, maybe with what you think she'll take. I'm always looking for hardware and stuff.

9. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I'll send an email message on your website to the comcast.net address. (it's sent.)

10. PAR

Thanks Ted, I'll give them a yell.

11. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

That is fairly common. I had that type of cockpit in a Kirby 25. The main traveller is positioned at the end of the boom and separates the cockpit. The space behind the traveller can be used by the helmsperson. The deck level seating allows them to see over in people that are seated and if people are on the rail they can see inside of them. Incidentally I didn't like it back there. I would sit right up by the cabin and out as far as I could with a long tiller extension and have others sit aft of me on the rail. I'm a laser sailer so I am used to being at the front of the cockpit so I can see the bow as I steer in waves and a better view of the water in general, at least for speed. I think for wind shifts it is better to sit back and turn your body and shoulders more to windward, but I tend to focus on speed. It is also a good spot back there for gybing and mark roundings, to see everything going on and stay out of the way.

12. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Awesome Jamie Kennedy. Thank you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.