Cheap Bluewater Boat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by J.D.Hogg, Aug 27, 2009.

1. jalmberg

jalmberg Junior Member

Can't PM you...

I can't figure out how to PM you, but i'd be interested in the details of this W28... john at identry dot com.

-- John

2. jalmberg

jalmberg Junior Member

Wow... I know the Contessa market pretty well. Best I've seen is $5000. You didn't buy that, you stole it.

-- John

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my blog: The Unlikely Boat Builder

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

john-
    I have sent you a e-mail with the contact info for the Westsail.

4. mitiempo

mitiempo Junior Member

5. thecaptain

thecaptain New Member

OMG, how could you possibly cross oceans on a budget of $5000? The Horror!

It's simple. Buy a boat, check for holes, get yourself a $99 gps, a radio, some charts, some water jugs, some sauerkraut, and for god's sake grow a pair.

Take this guy. He found a steel hull, found a tree for a mast and went sailing while us losers sit here and talk about it. No gps, no compass, no radio, no freaking electricity. He doesn't even have any clothes. Just a sextant, some charts some candles and some water containers.

[​IMG]

You can read about him here:

http://www.atomvoyages.com/articles/krislarsson.htm

Now I'm not advocating this guy's modus operandi, but I firmly believe you can go bluewater cruising with under $5000 in equipment, boat included. It just requires patience, a little luck, creativity, elbow grease and a willingness to sacrifice comfort and luxury.

6. thecaptain

thecaptain New Member

This looks like a good under $5000 bluewater boat:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/1456202313.html

Ad says:

Farallon 29 sailboat - $4500 (San Rafael)

ASTRAEA (star maiden) was my home for 10 years, but now I've moved onto another boat, and she is for sale.

You can find information and a brochure about the Farallon 29 at http://chuckburns0.tripod.com/farallon29/id10.html

There is no engine - this is a sailboat, so you will either need to know how to sail, or else add an engine.
    (The main sheet is attached aft of the tiller, rather than on the coachroof, for easy single handing.)
    If you do need an engine, an outboard would be most practical, though a couple of people are contemplating adding an electric motor.

The low price I'm asking reflects the need to do some fixup - paint shelves, add trim, add lining to some of the interior, connect the water tank to the foot pump.

Aboard is an office sized refrigerator and a microwave oven. There is more storage space - shelves and cabinets - than most boats this size.
    The galley and forward sink area are both tiled in matching Italian tile.
    The head is Coast Guard legal - it goes only to a holding tank, no overside discharge.
    There are AC electrical outlets throughout - a total of five circuits.

The oversized mast and boom allow for a larger than designed sail area - great for Southern California. Here on the bay, I've been sailing her with a fully battened 3/4 sized main and the working jib. There is also a full-sized main and a genoa for lighter winds. (The main sail has the number 33 on it, suggesting it was from a 33' boat.) The mast is tabernacle stepped, so it can be lowered without having to go to the boatyard.

John

from ad:

[​IMG]

Same design, different name:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.