Center boad location

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by frank smith, Nov 12, 2009.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I have seen a lot of boats with the center boat pushed up front .mostly junks, and dories . How far forward can the board be pushed to get it out of the middle of the cabin?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

As far forward as the sail plan and remaining lateral area will permit, there's no specific percentage or amount. Each design is unique and address these issues independently. A second, trimming board can permit the main board to be well forward.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I may be wrong, and tell me if I am, but isn't the center board usually placed directly under the center of the sail area?

4. bistros

bistros Previous Member

You have to look at the boat as a whole, and balance lateral resistance with center of effort. Rudders and the hull count as well as the centerboard. Using only the centerboard under the COE would probably result in lee helm.

--
    Bill

5. frank smith

I know this is a complext issue , and that the rudder become a greater
    contributor to the lateral plane . I have heard of sharpies using two boards ,
    but not with great success . It may be the chine inter action that causes
    some of the problem . Here is an example of a board forward .[​IMG]
    there is also a resent Bolger design St Valery that I find interesting .

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is a fair bit more complicated then this venue permits covering, but the BeachComber dory carries a good portion of it's immersed area forward, particularly compared to more modern craft, so it appears that the board is too far "north". This coupled with the "live ballast" trim that is possible in a lightly loaded dory and a CE that will move well outboard and forward as the sheets are eased, means you can toss the rudder in the drink and trim or steer the boat with crew movement.

7. frank smith

I see what you mean about the fullness of the bow in the dory .
    I guess like any thing in boat design , there are no easy answers .
    thanks

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.