CBTF(Canting Ballast Twin Foil)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Skandia

Thanks, Nico; its so very sad to see a great boat-any boat- like that....

2. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

skandia originally didnt have that daggerboard, or the bowsprit. They were added after the boat was first trialed and the daggerboard reduces the leeway suffered while reaching. The bowsprit was added after they realized the boat went so fast that symmetrical spinnakers were slower in nearly all wind conditions. I wonder why Skandia was first conceived without the daggerboard?

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Skandia

Either for the same reason as Mari Cha -water ballast upwind(I'm not even sure Skandia has waterballast) or to save money: CBTFco charges around 5% of the final finished cost of the boat as a royalty-but they provide a huge amount of technical assistance to the designer/builder.
    If you're going to go upwind with a canting keel boat- and use the keel up wind- you will have extra lateral resistance or you won't perform. Mari Cha was designed to use water ballast upwind canting the keel offwind-never both at the same time so she has no board.

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

I have received a full report about Nicorette's building - she was designed by the Simonis/De Voogt studio's (one in SA and one in Holland). This was published in the Dutch Magazine "Zeil" (Sailing).
    For a number of practic reasons, old Nicorette was butchered up and gave her deck and other hardware, costly hardware, to the new hull and keel.
    Ok, I have learned again something, the canting keel, in whatever execution plays an eminent role in the new designs, the new designs to come in the high end racing circuit.
    That Skandia was a budget ship might be true, the same counted for Nicorette, according to the article. She was built by a group of wandering spe******ts (?) and just finished before the S-H began. In a light breeze a piece of hardware broke and caused a rip in the mast of considerable length. Repaired, it hold in the race.

Bit by bit it becomes clear that the distinction between the regualr yacht and the racing yachts are bigger and bigger.

5. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

Skandia has no water ballast. Nicorette used the 80 footers deck and hardware because they wanted it read for the 2004 Sydney Hobart Race. You would think that the lateral resistance would matter a lot when beam and close reaching though, wouldnt you?(when you are going with the canting keel and no board)

6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Sorry Lorsail, I think I didn't look closely enough at this subject matter to deferentiate between CBTF and just canting keels. Guess I posted my comments in the wrong thread.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

right or wrong thread?

Brian, there is no right or wrong thread as far as I'm concerned; I was curious-thought you might have some insight or info I hadn't found...

8. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

is the new Alfa Romeo a CBTF boat?

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

no idea

no idea

10. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Reichel-Pugh

In Yachtforums I saw a rendering of a maxi using CBTF, is this true, or did I take it wrong?

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

maxi CBTF

Lots of maxis using CBTF including the two R/P z86's, Maiden Hong Kong and -I think- Genuine Risk(not positive).
    Got a link to "Yachtforums"?

12. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

13. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

I commented on it - with what I learned through boatdesing.net keeping in mind. Also my own observations, of course.
    I have been walking around in that scene for a few years and out of curiosity I joined that forum. A few members from this forum join Yachtforums as well, or it is maybe the other way round. It's a bit tricky forum because of the fact that commercial issues play a prominent role there.

Have a look, it will not be difficult to find - it is in "breakthru hulls"

14. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

genuine risk uses the cbtf concept. the designer may have modified it slightly to avoid paying the CBTFCo fee though......

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

yachtforums

I registered and looked and looked. Couldn't find any "breakthru" category; any more hints?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.