Canting Keels In Production Yachts

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by D'ARTOIS, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

rumors and lies

Richard did you save a link to "rumors and lies"? I think that is a section on the Sailing Anarchy website.
    I'm really curious "who" doesn't know how to handle "them".....
    ==============================
    Richard, I just went to the Rumors and Lies section of Sailing Anarchy and I didn't find a single negative comment about canting keels or any comment that could lead one to conclude:"Seems like they don't know how to handle them". Can you refer to what you read exactly or more clearly explain what you meant to help me understand?
    You can find a wide variety of comment on the SA forums some enlightened and some not so enlightened.The site is lively(understatement) and many times has news before anyplace else does....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005
  2. I will go and find the section. Be back.

3. Thereare 2 different sites of it. Do a web search of " canting keels " use the first anarchy site. Tough talk. Let me know if you find it.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I can send a scaned email to you.

4. SeaDrive

SeaDrive Senior Member

There is always the question of draft. I don't see the canter as ideal for shallow water areas.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

shallow draft canting keels

Sea Drive, I don't see any reason why a canting low aspect fin keel using fixed or retractable wings for extra lateral resistance couldn't be used to achieve shallow draft with some of the advantages of a deeper canting keel.Additionally, extra lateral resistance sufficient for this application could also be achieved by a canting keel/centerboard configuration...The use of wings or a keel/centerboard configuration with low aspect fin keel not only allows a shallow draft effective canting keel but allows the elimination of the requirement of any kind of trunk in the living area of the cruising boat.
    Some of the advantages common to both types would be a better ride upwind with less pitching when the keel is at max cant, less ballast, and /or more righting moment.
    Some canting keel builder/ designers are addressing the draft problem by having a canting RETRACTABLE keel though in the examples I've seen the keel can't be retracted AND canted at the same time. This type generally features a retractable daggerboard but could easily incorporate a centerboard if the board was placed BEHIND the canting keel. But, again, wings or a keel/centerboard combo is probably best.

6. Gina22

Gina22 Junior Member

Reply to D'Artois

Hi D'Artois
    25 yers ago 2 years long have I sailed the oldest hungarian Sailing ship http://www.sailing.hu/files/20892r.jpg,
    that was an cutter. But an CODE 0 to 3 Beafort and normal jib over is more simple. The question have Maening do you will fast sailing or not. An ship with canting keel is slighter as with fixed keel. I can say an ship longer, but with same displacement, and with Deck Salon may be an solution in the Charter Business.

Regards Gina22

7. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Sailing on the Balaton?

Hey Gina,

Where do you sail? On the Balaton?

8. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

One query about canters; how much extra do they cost (all else being as close to equal as possible) and how much extra room, comfort, performance would you add by putting that sum into a bigger boat rather than a canting keel?

We all know, the fastest boat for the LOA or rating or LWL, is very different from the fastest boat for the dollar. When the International 14s adopted T foil rudders, some pointed out that the same speed and handling gains (at least) could be obtained more easily just by adding a foot to the stern.

Then again, I suppose the modern "marina shaped boat", with its squashed overall length and overblown beam and freeboard, is all about packing the maximum space and some sort of pace into a short LOA to keep marina fees down. In that case (and in others) canters have an attraction.

I still wonder about learners ending up with canters in 10-20 years time. It will surely be a problem, just as it is when less experienced sailors end up with old racers where the rig depends on running backstays. Sure, there's no problem if you don't make a mistake, but the potential for a stuff-up makes the boats problematic in the wrong hands.

9. Gina22

Gina22 Junior Member

Reply to D'Artois

Yes D'Artois, on Lake Balaton and some times on Adria.
    The old ship is today 109 years old.

Regards Gina22

10. yago

yago __

good news, bad news... ;-)

The bad news is that yet another keel fell off this morning in the vendee globe.
    The good news is that Nick Moloney managed to keep the boat upright by topping up his 5 tons of water ballast. ;-)

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

canting keel hysteria vs the facts

Thank God Nick Moloney is ok ! And that the boat is still upright.
    I can only assume that Yago posted this under "Canting Keel Production Yachts" because he could not quickly find another topic; it is illustrative of canting keel hysteria that started with Skandia mishap. Yago: if you're trying to break news and or contribute to the discussion it would seem that instead of a hysterical news report you would take the time to explain the FACTS!!!
    Which are: Skandia experienced a failure of her keel fin; it broke 30cm below the bottom of the boat. The CANTING KEEL MECHANICS WERE NOT INVOLVED!!!!!
    According to a report from Moloney on Skandia , he feels that the fin may have been damaged last week when he hit a solid object at 15 knots...
    He's making for the coast of Brazil...

12. yago

yago __

Doug, right after posting I realized that my post might be misunderstood... thanks for pointing this out.

Actually I am not at all opposed to canting keels, (with or without daggerboards, check my site) or waterballast etc - I just wanted to pass the great news that, contrary to some other lost keels in the past, this boat actually is still right-way-up, Nick is safe and sort of under control. I guess that is a first and in itself a "sensation". Lets hope they get him out soon.

13. I did not take YAGOS clip to be hysterical. I do take your response as hysterical. Life will go on before and after canting keels, rudders, masts and captains.

14. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

This is about Production Yachts

Gentlemen, remember, this is about
    production yachts !!

But I am glad that it broke below the hinge system.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.