Can some one Identify this boat (Elk?)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Popeye31, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Popeye31

Popeye31 New Member

I am thinking of purchasing this boat but would like to know what I am buying the owner said the boat is a custom build and the title says its an Elk. any info is appreciated

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

did you forget the photo ???

3. Popeye31

Popeye31 New Member

Thought it posted I'll try again. also the guy said its 30 foot, it has a Diesel, wheel steering, yawl rig, twin fuel tanks, sleeps 6, marine head, holding tanks, fresh water system. been searching the net and found a website that had dimensions for an Elk 30 but can't find anything else. no pics etc.

I 29.8
    J 11.5
    P 29.3
    E 12.1
    ISP 29.8
    JSP 11.5

Attached Files:

4. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Not trying to be critical, but from general appearance performance-wise it appears appropriately named. Every design is a collection of compromises, and this one appears to lean quite seriously to accommodations and interior features.

From it's apparent age, general design and because it appears to have been on the hard for a while I would not touch the boat without a serious survey by a professional. Even so, it had better be a tremendous bargain, as the used boat marketplace is a buyers market like never before.

30' is very small for an aft-cabin design, and also small for a yawl rig. Bringing this boat back up to cruise-ready condition may be more expensive than spending a little more for a lot more boat that will be cheaper in the end. It isn't the price on the boat that matters, it is the price necessary to get it safe to cruise. In addition you have to think about the potential to get your money back out when (not if) you sell the boat.

Don't fall into the enthusiastic newbie "my time is free" trap - your time is worth more than anything else - especially if you can earn more with your day job using the time than the same time spent on the boat saves.

--
    CutOnce

5. Popeye31

Popeye31 New Member

Thanks for your input and I am not jumping into anything just yet I could get the boat for around 3,000 and that is the price I am putting on the item the person said he would trade me for it. the guy said it only needed about 200 buck to get it sea worthy. but I see a garden hose in the boat and have concerns of inside water damage. So if he won't let me do a little research I will let it go. I did find out it was built by Harrison Farrel and he called it an Elk 30. If any one knows this builders work please reply.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Mate,

the name or brand is not the main concern. I is most likely not a good deal, thats all.

Find one with a honest owner, and in good condition at 3000 + 200 = 3200$$$

Thats it.

Even if she was perfect, the owner is a liar! 200$ do not even replace ropes and fenders, which are always outworn.

Regards
    Richard

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Offer him $1,000 as it sits, then tell him to stop lying about the $200 to get is sea worthy. Hell it'll take a lot more then that just to make the trailer reliable enough to get to the sea. If he doesn't take the $1,000, then just walk away. In this market, $3,000 gets a lot of boat. This isn't a lot of boat, it's a lot of work.

8. capt.tony bera

capt.tony bera New Member

i dont know if i would get involved with this project and it is a project wow needs a lot we bought a macgregor venture 22 its an 82 and the boat need nothing as far as the boat went it had all the rigging all the sails it did need to be outfitted with safety gear electronics battery solar panels portapottie fenders sheets are the only rigging it needed but all the other stuff like fire extinguisher life jackets tethers outboard motor it already had the stainless mount all the lifelines were good well after buying it and bringing it home and registering it paying the sales tax and registering the trailer it came to over 200 bucks and that is just to get it legal all the other equipment costs as much as you want to spend ie. the better life jackets not the orange ones that cost 7 dollars but the vest coastal cruising kind if i gotta depend on a life jacket i want a better one not the just get by kind.. a decent anchor not a cheap one but not the best either but like i said it all costs $$...so 200 bucks to get it going??? put a 2 or a 3 in front of that 200 ie 2200,3200.. please think it through...a wise man told me once a long time ago good things come to those who wait....dont put the cart before the horse...tell this guy to come clean dont lie and be honorable tell the truth,,,tell it like it is,,,,,dont waste your time,,,,like this other guy(cut once ) said that responded to you time is worth money your time is worth money time is our most valuable commodity...good luck and fair winds and following seas.......

9. Capt. Chriss

Capt. Chriss New Member

Capt.

I have had a Elk 30 since the early 80's And have completely rebuilt her to a" Lyle Hess" design- I know her "good bad and ugly" over all- she has served me well from from the great lakes to the chesapeake and back a few times.

give me a come back if still interested

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you need someone to check it out for you I can give you a local contact

11. Capt. Chriss

Capt. Chriss New Member

Elk check

Thanks Mate:
    However,Since I built the boat from the old Elk Hull Myself -Not much checking left to do.
    Thanks again:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.