Can lines drawings be easily digitized?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Racer/cruiser, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Racer/cruiser

Racer/cruiser New Member

I am trying to get an Americap rating on my 36 foot John Spencer designed sailboat. For this, a digital representation of the hull is required. It will be very expensive, but at least possible, to haul out and have the hull scanned with a laser wand. However, since I have the lines drawings on blueprints, I'm wondering if there is an easy way to scan them into a digital form that would serve the the Americap measurer's purposes. Anybody doing this on a routine basis? Any ideas?

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Do you need a 3D model or just a digitized version of your plans? If you want to digitize them go to a shop that handles blueprints they should be able to give you any format you want. If you want a 3D model then there are cheap to expensive, you normally get what you pay for. Do you need just the hull or do you want the sails and all the deck hardware rendered on the water? What format is required?

Gary :D

3. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Is that a "Ragtime" John Spencer boat, or the North American John Spencer? What design of Spencer?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.