Cadet sail area?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Hobitz, Mar 18, 2015.

1. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Thanks for posting the plans. It looks a bit like a Signet with overgrown side decks. In fact they may be a problem not allowing one to sit far enough back on a broad reach/run in a seaway in strong winds.

Personally I don't trust any PVA adhesives with continuous water immersion, even just leaving the boat out the water, there is always condensation etc. In a dry boat house maybe but PVA is known to creep withe stress too. You can get away with it on musical instruments which are stressed - steel string guitars take 70-80 KG string tension but they are kept dry and in cases generally when not used.

Concur with ggg, she'll be best in smooth water, though I don't think the wind strength will be too important. Also with boom height, though if you put a Firefly rig on and keep the boom height above deck something similar (to Firefly) it will be OK. one reason is that a drooping boom hits, not just your head tacking but the waves far too early and can cause more capsizing than necessary. I've had mainsail leeches shortened to avoid this before now. The alternative is to do like an RS100 and have a sloped upward boom, but that is a single hander. Unless deliberately trying to get the 'end plate' effect which ths boat is not, just get some arrangement that works, with enough space and comfort.

BTW the way some on the Forum may seem to obsess about ,is that it is an important part of getting a boat to not only go fast, but be well behaved all through the wind range.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.