building a boat! need help!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by sail102, Nov 3, 2011.

1. sail102

sail102 REBEL!!!!!!!

more pics

Attached Files:

2. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Have been reading Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding?:rolleyes:

3. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Cabin on 8' boat? Wouldn't you worry that if your down in the cabin, and the boat tips over, you might drown?

-jim lee

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

At the risk of sounding like Troy, are you nuts?

You obviously haven't any idea what you're doing and it's about time someone smacked you around a bit. Your picture clearly shows absolutely no engineering understanding, zero hydrodynamics background and a wish list of a grossly inexperienced sailor.

Do yourself a big favor, knock apart that contraption and stow it in the burn pile out back. Apply appropriate levels of heat until well done. Get a set of plans, learn to sail and come back when you've earned some common sailing and building sense.

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

:eek:

6. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

Well ...

you have the thought, hopefully you have the dream. :D
    I think we all start with one idea and it proceeds to become something else.

I think you need to do more research, it's about the style of boat
    you want to build and the qualities you are looking for from your boat,
    and ... if you can get that past that (no easy task), than it becomes
    design/engineering/safety and so one.

you have your idea, it's a good start ...
    and I sincerely wish you good luck on your dream,

DE

7. sail102

sail102 REBEL!!!!!!!

well...no Im not going to smack apart, burn, or harm this "contraption" in any way. IM going to finish it and prove you wrong.:D

8. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

:D
    hope you do.
    looking forward to your success.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. frasco

frasco Junior Member

This is awesome. Updates please!

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

End grain fastenings, 2x4's, joints only a beaver could be proud of, the frame appears to be wracked already and this is just the little bit of structure visible. From a hydrodynamic point of view, I hope you like tender (easily tipped) boats, as this thing will roll like beer bottle on a grassy hill.

It would be a real sin to throw a bunch of time, materials and effort into a project that has no possible chance of being considered a boat. You will not be able to use it, assuming it even floats with the decks facing up (a moderately important consideration). An 8' boat with that kind of framing will need tissue paper for planking and Hermit the Frog as the skipper, because you can't afford any more weight then these two.

I'll assume you're still in high school on maybe about to enter it. It could also be reasonably assumed that you have nearly zero experience in and around a sailboat, let alone know what one looks like on the inside (the structure). I have flat, V and round bottom dinghies that you can have plans for. They're cheap ($50 or there about) and when completed as the plans direct, the result will float with the decks facing skyward, on the previously painted waterline and they'll sail well (considering the limitations of an 8' dinghy). These plans are easy to build and can guarantee successful outings, farther from shore then you can swim back to, which is a dubious suggestion with the design you've dreamed up. There are also hundreds of other plans, most very low cost, some even free, that will assure you don't have to swim back from your maiden voyage.

Having seen hundreds of projects started, with real plans and only a fraction completed, you'd do well, just to get it to the launch ramp, assuming you have a fork lift to raise it up and place it on a trailer. Most of my dinghies that size, are less then 80 pounds when completed, some less then 60, so I'm not sure what you have in mind, but lifting that puppy up and putting it in the bed of a pickup will need some well fed friends at the very least.

Get a set of plans. You can just as easily build a boat you'll hate as one you'll love. Considering your sailing, building and yacht design experience levels, which category do you think your creation will fall into?

Yacht design is a set of engineering disciplines, that take years to get a grasp on. Small craft are especially difficult to get right, mostly because you can't afford to make mistakes, as the structure and the preformance envelop are so small, that a minor mistake or miscalculation can mean the difference between a boat that sails like crap or one that breaks easily and one that does what you hoped it might.

11. lumberjack_jeff

lumberjack_jeff Sawdust sweeper

Download a set of Puddle Duck Racer plans (free). Buy three sheets of 1/4" plywood ($90) Buy a couple of tubes of waterproof glue.

Build that. It's a good design and not difficult to build.
    http://www.pdracer.com/free-plans/

You may think PAR is being harsh. He's not. He takes his job of discouraging you from drowning yourself seriously.

Do it wrong, and at best you'll be discouraged from boatbuilding. We want you to succeed, but you need to know a great deal more before you're qualified to reinvent the wheel.

1 person likes this.
  12. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

You asked for and got expert advice freely given. Please, show the respect and good sense to listen and learn.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You will be able to go and buy an olde dinghy cheaper than the materials involved. Go look around the local marina or ship yard. I bought one 3 months ago 12 foot and chopped it to 8 foot row boat it was a reject from the boat moulder,--no deck,--gel coat imperfection --I gave him 100 ringet( 35 dollars) for it.

Then stick a hut on it if you must.

14. sail102

sail102 REBEL!!!!!!!

if your woried about weight I have already considered skining it with canvas. and I dont have to put a cabin on the front than was just a suggestion.;) Now how about the sail. wats a light weight design that works?:confused:

15. sail102

sail102 REBEL!!!!!!!

jeez if your going to be like that about it:rolleyes:. fine Ill download the plans for that contraption!

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.