Boat Polar for Steinlager II

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Vince Nel, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Vince Nel

Vince Nel Junior Member

Good day members. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me or provide a link of where I can obtain a boat polar for Steinlager II. I am a member of sailonline.org I am busy with a race proposal mimicking the Whitbread 89/90 edition. In order to have a complete proposal I require a boat polar for the class of boat we intend using.

Steinlager is about a good as you are going to get.

Thanks

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

3. Vince Nel

Vince Nel Junior Member

Yes, thank you kindly Michael.

4. Joakim

Joakim Senior Member

You can buy them from the ORC sailor services or from a ORC Rating Office:
    http://orc.org/

The boat may not be in the Whitbread trim, but it seems to have had ORC certificates at least 1998 and 2006-2008

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I think US Sailing also keeps a catalog of polars. Personally I find them pretty useless though, on most boats it should be easy to out sail the polars concsistantly.

6. Vince Nel

Vince Nel Junior Member

Joachim, thank tou for that link.
    Much appreciated

7. Vince Nel

Vince Nel Junior Member

Thanks Stumble. US Sailing, would that be ussailing.org? Although it is possible to outsail the polars we need the polar(s) for the race as it is otherwise quite imposssible to repicate the race to a reasonably accurate degree.

What would be the first prize is to have polars for the whole fleet in the 89/90 edition... that would be as close as we can get to IRL. You'd then have a choice of class boat and different boats under that class. Our server might struggle with that wide option though... Perhaps :)

8. Mikko Brummer

Mikko Brummer Senior Member

Maybe this could be of help... I have the real polars of Belmont Finland II (ex. UBS Switzerland) from the 89-90 race, recorded into a Macintosh SE30 while sailing the race. I collected the polars through MacSea, and used them to "tune" the VPP I was writing at the time. As I recall, Steinlager was roughly 1-1,5 hours in 24 hours faster than Belmont, which made the race on Belmont rather a frustrating experience. On the other hand, as the race was no issue, I had plenty of time to collect the polars and work on my VPP ;-).

Here's a plot of the polars, I don't seem to find the numbers now, but I probably could get you the same in numbers by running the VPP again.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. Vince Nel

Vince Nel Junior Member

Mikko, thank you very much. I envy you deeply for being in a position (richly deserved no doubt) to be a part of such an historical race... to be part of that drama, pain, heartache, elation and joy... to be part of a 'legendary event'.

My most sincere thanks to you guys for making it what it was... an epic(s) of legendary proportions.

It is for that same reason that we are trying to 're-create' some of that magic... races like that are now all dominated by sponsors and huge amounts of corporate 'red tape', media events and corporate contractual obligations. The current Volvo Ocean Race is a great race... but it's not quite ... 'there' if you get my drift... some serious substance lacking. Far too much 'hype' about in-port races. Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems more a media event than a race. (I wonder if that is not what has kept Torben Greal from returning. The feeling I got during the previous VOR is that he desperately wanted the 'old racing days' back)

That is why we plan to run a 'Classic (purist) Whitbread' on every alternate year from the VOR...

Again, my sincere thanks for the info as these polars are 'historical data' for many and their worth is in what they represented and still do today.

Vince Nel

10. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

11. Vince Nel

Vince Nel Junior Member

Michael I cannot agree more.

What we are trying to do is to somehow keep some of that magic alive... even if it just in the way of a nav. simulator. Members are usually encouraged to read up on races, boats, sailors etc. related to the races we undertake. We know it's only 'on a pc' but there is still an allure to it... knowing that what you are doing from the comfort of a chair, desk etc has been done IRL by some of the best sailors the world has seen... that adds excitement to it.

In such a way the younger guys and ladies gets exposure to some of the epic races and legendary sailors of the Whitbread.

Cheers and thanks.

Vince Nel

12. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

How about this Steinlager magic?

Attached Files:

13. Vince Nel

Vince Nel Junior Member

Where and when was this. I carry no knowledge of this boat Gary.

14. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

That's the original Steinlager 1, wing masted trimaran designed by David Alan-Williams and built in Auckland a couple of years before the maxi monohull Steinlager 11; Mike Quilter and Peter Blake won the Round Australia in it. This shot was taken on the Waitemata (you can just see a bit of North Head and Devonport) for an article I wrote for one of the magazines.

15. Vince Nel

Vince Nel Junior Member

Gary, some interressting news indeed.

If you can excuse my ignorance regarding sailing matters... Being a South African during the late 70's, 80's and early 90's had a definite downside... We basically got very little news regarding a great many matters worldwide... sailing being one of them. I am a very late blossomer as far as sailing goes (bug starting biting during the 32nd America's Cup and it really only bit hard about a year ago). So I have lot to catch up on...

All this info is rather fascinating to say the least... and some of the people on this forum is living legends in what limited knowledge on the subject tells me... It has thus dawned upon me that I have missed a great deal in life and am busy trying to make amends as best as possible... But the info provided over the last couple of days from this site alone is a treasure trove.

Many thanks.

Vince Nel

PS: What is the stats of Steinlager I?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.