Boat Name prediciment

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by woody_paul, Jul 19, 2006.

1. woody_paul

woody_paul HND Boat design student

Hi

I have recently been reffiting and partly rebuilding a 24ft bilge keel wooden sailing yacht, and now need to think of a good name. any suggestions would be much appreciated, i was looking at latin names, Amphitrite (wife of neptune , goddess of the sea) but i can't pronounce them, so i don't really now what they sound like. please help

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Amf-rit-tite-tee (said fast)

Good name Always a big problem thinking of names.

3. enrico s

enrico s New Member

Hi,
    what do You think about
    BELLEROFONTE?

Was the name of the winghed horse of Perseo.
    I like this one.
    No rights reserved!
    Enrico

4. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

5. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

6. hiracer

hiracer Senior Member

Use musical terms, such as Andante or Dolce.

The dinghy with the outboard is named Forte, of course.

7. Vega

Vega Senior Member

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I got mine off a web site, it has just about any name you can think of and then some. Tell your mates down the bar before you go ahead, get the laughter over with before you screw the name on the boat. But no matter what you call it you will wish you hadnt after you see some real cool name later. But you must never change the name of a boat it is considered very bad luck to do that.
    Incidentely one of the the ruler of Bruni's relatives is well known in Europe with his super yacht 'big ****". Just to give you an idea,--- or two.

9. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

I tryed google "super yacht big ****", no yacht found:D

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You are absalutely correct, I apologise. The name of the feadship was '****' with the tenders named nipple 1 and nipple11.

I got this from 'google'

11. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Puuuuullllleeezeeee...... No Happy Hookers, or Twin Screwed, or Sea bitches. I spent many years in Boating Safety and people would call and ask if they could name their boat Such and Such. Believe me. They've all been used. If you look at this link to Documented Vessels by Name Query http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/commercial/landings/cg_vessel2.html, you'll see that most names have many repeats.

Find something unique. Don't use the name of your wife or daughter or second cousin. Look back at your life and find something that really means something to you. My sailboat was named after a poem by Robert Service, that perfectly described my daughter. I can almost guarantee that nobody else used that name.

Oh, by the way, the most unusual boat name I ever saw was "MY ******". The story behind it is too long to tell here.

12. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Interesting Link, Ike!

Like you suggested, I tried to think up an original name for a boat that I could suggest to woody_paul.

So far, the most original name I could come up with was Anal Lust.

How bout that? Would that be a good name for a boat? :)

13. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

14. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Do you really think "My ******" and "Anal Lust" are appropriate suggestions for someone named Woody?

Something simple, like "Woody's Bottom"

15. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

'Cirrosis of the River' seen on the Thames, obviouly either a doctor or a Drinker (or both!). 'Pipedream' - he'd been thinking about it for ages the choice is yours, and as MikeJohns sez above 'tis dam awkward - could even be the hardest part of the job. I wish you luck, something will come - just keep it clean and pronouceable - remember you will have to use this on the radio and it will get shortened! Coastguards and police don't like calling up rude names, in fact they get very nasty about it (actually there is a law....) other than that the world's your oyster so to speak:p

the other bit of advice about telling your mates before you launch to get the laughter over is probably good, but remember traditionally to mention the name before the actual launch/naming ceramony is bad luck - depends on your view on superstition I guess (but why take chances?) like changing the name! a big no no!:confused: :rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.