Boat Name prediciment

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by woody_paul, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

'Mayday' is a nice name

2. JohnBloch

JohnBloch Yeah...

Go with musical terms... Treble, Forte, Fortisamo, andante, tempo... I like all those names...

the goddes of neptune that you were speaking of, is prononuced here in the states

AFRO DIE TEE

haha... those sylables just make me think of a tee shirt that has "AFRO DIE" with a big afro on it... or someting outrageous...

anyway, best of luck... Unless all your friends own boats with stupid names, dont do it to yours... basically any play on words and outrageous saying can fall into that category...

also, anything with your name in it should be avoided... unless you like that sort of hickish american thing...

I work at a marina, and you would be suprised how many stupid names ive come across... one of the best being

"PMS"
    and then under it reading
    "pack my stuff"

3. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

Yes i think so 2

”1st of May” for a name and when asked to repeat on the radio you go 1st of May, you know like Mayday I repeat Mayday, can you read me?:cool:

4. Toot

Toot Senior Member

I suspect you could get the same effect (and maybe even get away with it) if you just called your ship.....

A
    dame A day

5. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

6. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

Perhaps "Toredo" would be appropriate?

On a side note- the best boat name I've come across in person is "Instead of Kids"

The worst name I've come across is "Unsinkable III"

7. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

When I sold my aircraft which was a Luscombe, to buy a boat I decided I missed the plane so much I named the boat "Lady Luscombe"

Mychael

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ohh thats a good idea,--- for exactly the same reasons I shall now call my boat----

'Lady wheelbarrow'

9. messabout

messabout Senior Member

My little sharpie boat is named "2th Ferry". It is the second flat bottomed boat I have built, thus 2th. Ferry ? Oh, well you get the idea. Naming boats is a source of great puzzlement, frustration, and indecision. It is sometimes better to keep it simple and less creative. I had a boat that was yellow. Its' name was Buttercup, some of my weird named boats were the scow racer named Moon Dog, and a laser named Torturack. Those who have sailed a Laser or similar boat competitively, will know why it had such a name. Please don't paint your boat blue and call it Blue Bayou unless you are into taunting.
    Keep it clean. When your decision is made, let us know about your choice, we are in suspense here.

10. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Wow, expensive wheelbarrow huh? lol. This opens up a whole new choice of names.I'm kinda taken with "busted lawnmower". (for cutting seagrass) hahaha.

Just a couple of other suggestions that had been made to me was "Nat" as in "Nat King Cole" as the boat is a "Cole" & "Glass Onion" as it's fibreglass/red and with a lot of rounded tumblehome to the hull.

Mychael

11. Coyote

Coyote New Member

I had a 1949 Kettenburg 38 that I named Morning Wood. Offended some folks at the club. If my name was Woody I probably would have named it Woody's Woody.

12. Toot

Toot Senior Member

That kind of name is fine by me... As long as it has an innocent interpretation, such that parents won't have to shield their childrens' eyes from it, then I don't see what the big deal is.

The type of person offended by the name "morning wood" is also undoubtedly the type of person who is sexually repressed and blushes at the slightest suggestion of something improper. So, my advice when dealing with people like that would simply be to say, "What do you mean the name is offensive? It's about the way wood is cool and slightly damp from the dew in the morning. Why? What did *you* think it refers to?"

Usually they'll get all flustered and embarassed by the thought that, perhaps, it is they- and not you- who has the dirty mind.

13. messabout

messabout Senior Member

John Welsford , the NZ builder-designer, tells the tale of a person who commisioned the building of a boat. Problems ensued continuously during the build. The boat was ultimately named ODTAA. (one damned thing after another)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.