Boat Design for school

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Guest, May 20, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

ok im desiging a sail boat (which we will race) and i need help. what kind of hull would be the best to use? the boat dimension 3'3/4 width 12' long high doesnt matter thanks for the help in advance

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Were going to need some more info. I presume that this is a manned craft, and not a remote controlled model. Are you allowed a weighted keel, do you have any plans for the rig? (Una, or sloop rig would probably be best). In short, I don't know of any stock designs, and if the rules are virtually unlimited (length, beam and minimum weight) then the best course of action is probably to design your own. I would also suggest that you register on this forum, then you'll be able to post more easily.

So, in short, feel free to bounce ideas off us, but could you post a set of rules?

Glad to help,

Tim B.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you familiar with the Penguin class? They are about the same dimensions.

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

http://home.dmv.com/~jenkins/plan.html

that may be a good place to start. I would also consider something of a hybrid design, between say, a laser style boat, and something slightly narrower, so you end up with a good hull at the right size. This looks like one of those projects that you'll just have to play around with.

Good Luck,

Tim B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.