bilge keels

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by roxanne parola, Oct 9, 2005.

1. greg simpson

greg simpson all steamed up

As you have just mentioned that you have a condenser,why not modify your feedwater tank: either make it larger/move it closer to balanced centre of boat/lower in the bilge?
    Also,i'm not familiar with weston farmer hull designs,is yours counter sterned or transome?
    does it have 'steadies' (i dont know their proper name) under the water line ie.4''/5'' x 1'' x 6'/7' peices of timber on the hull to act as extra rolling resistance without offering any real resistance to water flow past the keel?

2. roxanne parola

roxanne parola Junior Member

Sorry mate, been gone for a few days, no can't lower fuel or water tanks since there are only a few inches below the floor in the bilge area. Weston Farmer was an naval designer of big stuff who liked steam boats, it is a counter stern style with a "cozy" at the stern and a proper Windermere tea kettle (we use it for hot rum, yum. Steadies?, never heard of such, any idea how effective they may be? Thanks RP

3. greg simpson

i dont know their proper name,i wish i did,but they run linear with the hull and are simply planks fixed onto the hull,making more surface area to resist rolling,but offer little more resistance in running,does that make it a bit clearer?
    does anyone know what i mean that could tell us the proper name of these parts and if they would be effective in their role on roxanne's boat?
    greg

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Secondary or auxiliary keels.

5. roxanne parola

roxanne parola Junior Member

greg, since you are interested in steam things check out; stanleysteamers.com. A site by a John Woodson, you can link over from there to "steamboats". Check out what's going on this side of the pond. Cheers RP

6. greg simpson

not to say cyclops is wrong,but if you search 'terminology' in the search engine and look at a post by kach21 it gives a picture of what i meant.
    whether the name 'running strake' is correct or not i dont know,i thought that was a strake running allong the hull above the waterline to protect when berthing/moored etc.

hey ho,worth a gander anyway.
    ps i'll look at the 'sites you list,thanks.

7. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

I converted an O'Day sailboat to electric, and cut out the centerboard well to make room for the prop shaft. This left me with a very round hull section, and no keel. I bolted two bilge keels, each about 14 inches off the boat centerline, and this works very well. I used 1/8 x 2 x 2 Aluminum angles, 6 ft long each.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.