Best Daysailer under 20ft

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by rdahmes@cox.net, Dec 12, 2008.

1. rdahmes@cox.net

rdahmes@cox.net New Member

I'd like to get some opinions on the best daysailer under 20ft LWL. I'm thinking true daysailer........sit inside (no hiking), all lines lead to cockpit, easily single-handed, easy to rig and un-rig, relatively fast but dry, comfortable motion, etc. I think you get the idea.

A few boats come to mind......Alerion 20, Rhodes 19, Harbor 20........but other opinions would be appreciated.

Rob

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Attached Files:

3. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Details

What and where are you going to use the boat? Are you going to keep it in the water or trailer it, and are you going to single hand it or sail with a crew, and do you want a boat with a special "look". Sorry for all the questions, but it really helps to focus on your needs rather than any given boat first. Bruce

4. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

currently under construction in my workshops - Lightning 6 or for short the L6

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

CB Skimmer

Tongue in cheek suggestion: 5.5 x 2.25 metres, 110 kgs weight plus water 70 kgs ballast when necessary.

Attached Files:

6. CML UK Ltd

CML UK Ltd GRP & FRP Plugs Mouldings

Not the most exciting but with family and safety in mind.... The Hawk 20. Estabilsed design, self righting, trailable, easy to set up and unsinkable!

http://www.hawk20.co.uk

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

The Hawk should be the best in the world at that price as well mate........

8. CML UK Ltd

CML UK Ltd GRP & FRP Plugs Mouldings

Cheers RHP! it took me a long time to like it but finally accepting it's credentials I now thinks its a fantastic boat.

9. rrhal

rrhal Junior Member

10. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

These days it's hard to beat the Harbor 20, but you might look at the old Cape Dory Typhoon. For a lead-free option, see the Flying Scot, which are still actively raced all over the US. The Laser Stratos is billed as "the ultimate family daysailor." It looke like a Nomad but with a ballasted keel, for stability and self-righting. My sister's family in the UK bought one for that reason.

Of course it depends on what you want the boat for, the conditions, etc.

Don't overlook multis. I had a ride in a Farrier Tramp when it first came out many years ago, and it seemed like the ultimate family daysailor. No heeling!

11. rrhal

rrhal Junior Member

One of these - Saffier 6.5 - would be nice. A bit on the pricey side for me though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.