Bavaria Match 42 lost its keel...

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ErikG, May 2, 2005.

1. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

I have Indonesian Cert for building boat and location permit(Shipyard). I have a shipwright loftman as a control. I will build my ship with a full reputable designer who have done his study properly.... from I bought the full plan with real cash. I have a CAD and 3D guy doing rendering and Material will be IMO so what is ametuer about it?:)

We are left behind in technology and know how, but shipbuilding is one of the oldest trade and Indonesia have its roots too.........

2. Peter Puttock

Peter Puttock New Member

Match 42

Hi,

Yesterday, I thought I would go on Bavaria's web site and check out the exact details of the keel mounting upgrade. It was there, and it does look like what has been completed on the boat we are purchasing. By the way, this boat is new, but has been on their books for a while without being sold.

Whilst on the web site I Thought that I would check out any comments about the boat being re-designed or upgraded. I thought that their "sales brochure" might mention "the new upgraded Match 42" or something similar.

To my amazement there is no mention of the Match 38 or Match 42. They are not on the list of boats built and sold by Bavaria.

Does anyone know anything about the withdrawel of these models?

Regards

Peter

3. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

I designed a new keel for a Bavaria 44. We wanted to beef up the keel laminate and found the original keel floors did not even touch the hull! It was just held in place with some light tabbing.

Attached Files:

4. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

Yes they are withdrawn, only the 35 Match is still produced.

5. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Can you explain a little better?

That means that it is not an encapsulated keel. It is a bolted one.
    It seems to me that what matters is the reinforcement in the bolted area and the way the efforts are transmitted to the hull.

I am not saying you are not right, just asking to explain why the lateral laminates should reach higher in a bolted keel.

6. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

The keel floors have to support the bolted area, to prevent this area from buckling. In this case the floors stopped a few cm. above the hull and where only connected with a thin layer of csm. We reinforced the bolted area, glassed the keelfloors solidly against the bottom and changed the washers on the keelbolts for full counterplates.

More pictures of the conversion at www.waternimf.tk

7. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Thanks.

Very interesting. Massive modification.

The boat really needed massive reinforcements in the keel attachement area, because the forces generated by that keel will be a lot more important than the ones generated with the original one.

How does the boat behave? I am curious. And what about racing, how does the boat perform?

8. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

The extra laminate plus the old one has been calculated to be ABS times 2.
    I got full cooperation from the Bavaria yard in this conversation including original drawing and calculations. The new laminate fades out to the old laminate to prevent stress points. The knew keel is 0.5m deeper and 200Kg. lighter, while increasing stability on all heel angles.

The boat did actually pretty well in the old configuration winning quite a few (fun) races. The upwind performance however left a bit to be desired and so did general stability. Total cost of the conversion abouth EU 7500.

The boat will be relaunced in 2 weeks, and I am as curious to it's new behaviour and performance as you. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.