Anyone there with a Viksund 27 motorsailer???

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by MarioCoccon, Feb 24, 2006.

1. MarioCoccon

MarioCoccon Senior Member

Hi: Iam looking for a Viksund 27 motorsailer, if anyone know how they sail in light winds?? if they can sail close to 6knts in a 15knts wind?? and what are the really speed can go without force to much the motor?? Can I put a bigger mast maybe 5 feet more. Thanks all information realted to this motorsailers will be granted.

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

3. MarioCoccon

Hi and thanks for the reply, I saw that page the other day but I dont understand anything. Do you think a motorsailer 27 can capsize more easy than a sailboat?? My wife its concern about that. Thanks again

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I have seen those boats around, and the use their engines quite often.
    I think they have quite small sails and a large wetted surface (long keel).

LOA: 8.05 m
    B: 2.80 m
    Draft: 1.05 m
    DIESEL: 80 l
    Water: 80 l
    Engine: 15 - 70 hk
    Speed: 6 - 11 knots
    Weight: 3000 kg
    Produced 1970-1980
    Two different rigs, 17 or 25 m2.

5. MarioCoccon

Hi,do you think a boat like that can capsize easy?? what its your opinion on put a couple more feet of mast a sails?? I only wanted to reach and downwind because a lot of little toll me its impossible to go windward with a boat like that. My father have a Morgan 41 Out I the hull looks very similar to the viksund 27 long keel but with short draft and a square rudder we never can point to much to windward we always use the motor to do that. Thanks for the next opinions. Mario

6. Guillermo

I do not see a particular risk of capsizing for well designed traditional motorsailers against 'sailing' boats.
    There is a Capsize Ratio that may be used to roughly have an idea about the risk of capsize for a certain boat. It is:
    CSF = Beam / (Disp/64.2)^1/3
    This number being lower than 2 indicates a lower risk of capsizing than being over it.
    Here you have several Capsize Ratios for motorsailers with lengths close to the Vicksund's:
    LM27: 1.79
    Dartsailer 27: 1.80
    Degero 28: 2.01
    Vancouver 28: 1.67
    Finnsailer 29: 1.70
    Fisher 25: 1,73

Using main characteristics provided by Raggy Thor for the Vicksund:
    Vicksund: 1,96

On the other hand, here you have more 'sail power oriented' motorsailers:
    Kodiak: 2.13
    Freestyle 27: 2.7

You can see here that motorsailers are not necesarily riskier than 'sailing' boats.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006

7. Guillermo

Vicksunds have a SA/D ratio of 12.21 for the 25 sqm rig and 8.30 for the 17 sqm one.
    With the lower engine power mentioned by Raggy (15 hp), you get a 6*HP/D ratio of 13,60 and with the higher (70 hp) you get 63,45 (!)

If you finally go for a Vicksund, I recommend you to search for a unit with the 25 sqm sail area and engine power not in excess of 20 HP.

Increasing sail area over this will most probably require a detailed study of its feasibility by an expert.

Traditional motorsailers require precisely that: Motorsailing when beating to winward.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.