Another type of folding keel

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Chris Ostlind, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

I just got the recent edition of European Boatbuilder Magazine and in it was an article about an interesting development from UK-based, Humphreys Yacht Design; the Scissor Keel. This is a draft reduction strategy for big sailing boats that has several other possible benefits.

Here is an image that was posted on Yachtforums.com that shows the keel doing its business along with the link to the discussion at the same site. Since I don't have time to jet over to Monaco and take-in all the state of the art goodies for mega yachts, this came as a new item to me in today's mail.

Still, it's interesting to think about, though I'm more than sure it's decently spendy to include this technology in a design. When you light cigars with hundred dollar bills, who cares how much it costs?

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/n...994-humphreys-revolutionary-scissor-keel.html

Chris Ostlind
    Lunada Design

Attached Files:

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.