Americas Cup model...

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by portsix, Jan 23, 2004.

1. portsix

portsix New Member

Hello All,

I was hoping to construct a model of an AC class boat, in theory from photographs and the like. I was wondering if anyone out there has any input as to whether or not a relatively accurate scale hull could be re-created from photographs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. Chuck Weber

Chuck Weber Guest

Arduous Task

I don't know what modeling program you would be using but modeling one of the Iacc boats accurately would be difficult and time consuming. Working from a photo would be a little reverse engineering...Try seeing if you can't get an Iges model of an old hull from one of the naval architects from an earlier campaign. There were lots of unsuccessful designs that look great but weren't winners. They were usually created in fastship and then exported into a CAD program via Iges.
    Good Luck!

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Sailing IACC model

Check out www.rcsailing.net Lots of rc info; many compromises need to be made to capture the essence of an IACC boat in a radio controlled model.

4. DaveB

DaveB Senior Member

maxsurf model

Hi there... recently a gentleman from Maxsurf was distributing a model of a likeness to a recent IACC boat... I've attached a zip file of the original maxsurf file, an iges file and a dxf file...

Have fun with them...

Cheers,

Dave

Attached Files:

• AC.zip
      AC.zip
      File size:
      64.8 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.