America's Cup Disaster

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by bistros, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Well, Bondy and Warren Jones knew, and their answers always included terminology similar to what 249 has used. They have not produced the work showing Lexcen's design of the keel. That should have been easy for them to do and put any question to rest.

From what I understand Sloof took credit in print from right after the Cup.

PvO had a contract and also concern for his reputaion in Oz, so kept his mouth shut. Supposedly he would have kept quiet forever but for some nasty comments in print years later by Jim Hardy.

Just for chuckles, from the man's own mouth:

(John Rousmaniere): Lexcen told his biographer, Bruce Stannard, that the relationship between the Dutch scientists and himself was like the one between university professors and a student. 'I went to Wageningen like a dry sponge . . . I used their brains. I used their knowledge and their experience.' Yet he went on to state, vaguely,'The ideas come from me but they draw them up to fit their own requirements.'

I have no doubt all the concepts in the AII keel were considered at some point prior to the '83 match. That's not the question. The question is WHO designed the one particular keel that was on the bottom of AII when she won the match?

Just to be clear, I was happy to see the Fat Boy lose the Cup. I'm still happy he lost. I don't think anyone should be talking nonsense about overturning the result. I would just like the whole truth to come out. If that shows BenBob did the work, great. If it shows something else, great.

2. Zed

Zed Senior Member

If you want the whole truth why not start way back when and dredge through the entire sordid history of the cup? Why start with the AII campaign?

I think Bondy sold everything he owned, he had some trouble you know!

Also begs the question...

Has anyone produced the claimed original work for AII's keel?

3. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

1) Saying 'this question requires a yes/no answer' is worse than any so-called 'lawyer wording'.

2) I may be wrong, but I have never seen Bondy or his lawyer point out that there was an earlier published design study of an Australian 12 Metre with winglets, which proves beyond any doubt that the concept of a winglet-bearing 12 was NOT a Dutch invention.

3) As Zed said, the simple fact is that I have no way of knowing who did the research and calcs and then drew the keel. All I did was note that some of the claims about the nationality of those who created the wing-keel 12 concept were demonstrably incorrect, and that therefore there are glass houses on at least one (possibly both) sides of the debate.

4) I simply don't know who did the research, calcs and drawings. Like many other designers, Ben had other designers working for him a lot of the time, so following normal practice he could have had John King or someone else involved with the keel.

I only ever spoke to him a couple of times, but some say that he did (in his early career at least) often benefit from others cleaning up his plans, after he had created quite detailed concepts. This was told to me by a small-boat designer very learned in such things, when we were looking at some of Ben's original plans.

Therefore the concept could easily have been Ben's, with much work done by John or someone in the drafting.

It's not as if Ben had never designed a boat before.

4. Zed

Zed Senior Member

I love this...

27 years later and that damn keel is still filling US 'head space'.

LOL... and it was so damn good that its a regular fixture around the place today (not!)...

Interesting quote!

Nothing dirty about the fight...

And... apparently the Dutch where forsale to the highest bidder ... :p :D :rolleyes:

Yet more filthy laundry...

And...

LOL...

Give it a rest!

BTW how long did these wonder keels last in 12's?

5. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Did he have a fetish for long skinny things? :D

6. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

No it is not. You have made some comments that don't address the question. So I just want to know what you believe. Funny how politicians, lawyers, and religious zealots all have trouble answering Yes/No questions.

I will openly state my belief that Lexcen did not draw the keel. Heaven's sake, Lexcen's own words (note previous post) are pretty conclusive.

I believe they have used terms like concept, etc. I also believe Lexcen and Valentijn (hey, where is he from?) explored the use of winglets for their '80 design.

That means nothing when we are adressing WHO designed the actual '83 keel. It was not a concept that hung below AII during the match.

So knowing what you know about Lexcen you cannot possibly form an opinion regarding whether or not he (or some other Aussie working for him) penned the appendage?

I realize stating the obvious could get you the cold shoulder or worse in a club bar down there.

The drafting would have been the easy part. There were some fairly sophisticated interfaces that had to be resolved in the design of that keel.

7. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Then there was the time that the Yanks bought New Zealand...

... over to fight their battles for them!

So why all this piousness over Ben?

8. Zed

Zed Senior Member

I doubt it...

You on the other hand might land on your ***. It's the accent...! :D ---> Joke Joyce!

and your countries record on similar things --> not so much a Joke Joyce!

9. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Yet more...

It was a dirty year wasn't it?

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Ben Lexcens Winged Keel

"Australia II skipper John Bertrand has rejected claims that Ben Lexcen did not invent the famous winged keel that guided the yacht to America's Cup victory in 1983.

But Mr Bertrand said that Lexcen, who died in 1988, was the leader of the design team and the man who pulled the whole package together.

"There is no doubt that Ben was the principal designer for Australia II, and as to the winged keel, he worked with others, including van Oossanen, throughout the whole design process," Mr Bertrand said.

"He had the responsibility to pull the whole package together ...and he did it in a brilliant manner."

Mr Bertrand said Lexcen had been designing 18-foot skiffs in Sydney and putting end plates on keels and rudders 20 years before Australia II's winged keels.

He said there was one of Lexcen's skiffs bearing the end plates - Taipan - on show at the National Maritime Museum to prove it was his idea.

"Unfortunately, Ben is not here to defend himself and he is the only one who really understands the intricacies and who set the design process in motion," Mr Bertrand said".
    AAP
    ===========
    The revisionist history now being touted by some will NEVER besmirch the reputation of one of the most innovative sailboat designers ever. It's easy to make these absurd assertions after the MAN is dead rather than to his face and that fact should not be lost on anybody.

11. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

To me it's not about Ben. It is about people just stepping up and getting the truth on record. Seems Ben was more honest about it than some others. I wish those who were involved would be honest now that it doesn't matter anymore. I mean, fer cryin' out loud, Bond has done much worse than bend the rules of a sailing competition.

Ditto all the USA gaming the game over the years. The American way of running the things for 132 years is well documented, and should be. It should be mentioned more. I have no issue with anyone pointing out all the ways the US made sure the rig was in so they could keep the streak going.

Here in the USA we don't just tolerate cheats, we tolerate their unsportsmanlike behavior as well. As Al Davis says, "Just win, Baby!"

It was shameful in '88 when, on one hand, Dennis and Malin and Co. were claiming they didn't have time to respond. Next thing you know they were parading Jim Kilroy to the press with some dodgy data sheets to "prove" his maxi Kialoa was faster on the water than the Big Boat. If that was the case then they should have sailed an IOR Maxi and won. Plenty of time for them to have done that.

More shameful was DC calling Bruce Farr a "loser" on stage after the cup.

Even more shameful, DC calling the Kiwis cheats when they showed up with the plastic 12s. People here quote that with pride, like it was something good.

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Joop Sloof was on record with his claim in 1984. He had no need to protect anyone to ensure future contracts. Lexcen was alive at the time.

If you note the previous posts, Lexcen himself made statements that indicate the truth.

13. Zed

Zed Senior Member

The thing that gets me about guys like that is... if they don't think its OK, then why do the work?

OR

If they accept that all sides are doing the same thing and decide doing the work is OK then why not be professional and shut up?

If what is suggested is in fact more truth than story these guys are worse than hookers that report you to the police the next day! If its more story than truth then well they are more than a little sad.

I'm guessing it was a dirty game so I would say that few teams where pristine in their campaign conduct and really its the host nation that set that tone many moons ago. You don't get to keep any trophy for 137 years without a fix of some sort being in.

Sad thing is that I can't even tell you the last time we tried for the cup... (2000?) that I think says a lot about what its become, when a sports nuts sailing nation loses interest in it. Good on the Kiwis for keeping on, keeping on, mebe they have more mongrel in them than us :D

I think a win at all costs ethos really devalues these things. I would dearly like to see a well defined series, with closely matched maneuverable designs where disputes are settled on the course or in the clubhouse at worst! IMHO opinion if some sort of heritage is not rebuilt and preserved then this will die, it simply will lose its appeal to all concerned.

14. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Because Sloof had no idea about any of the nationality rules? He was a scientist who was pulled in to help evaluate a particular problem.

The story goes he visited Newport and was surprised no one had anything to say to him about the good work he had done. So he mentioned it in an interview.

On the other hand PvO must have known what the stakes were, and once he was in...

15. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Which is what PvO did for all those years. I'm sure it was a sore point for him, and when Hardy made his statements that popped the cork.

Here in the US we have a saying, "Let sleeping dogs lie."

Also, "Don't rattle the hornet's nest."

I don't know if you have hornets in Oz. I know you have dogs.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.