America's Cup

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Guillermo, Feb 18, 2006.

?

Which one is going to win the Louis Vuitton Cup?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2007.
  1. Luna Rossa

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Emirates New Zealand

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

It means that Spain didn't hire a designer with a poor track record in ACC boats. :)

I'd like to see Desafio come back to race LR in the final.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Ac

------------------
    Congratulations, Guillermo! Go Reichel-Pugh, I mean, Desafio!
    Next time: a US skipper and a US crew on a Reichel-Pugh design-and a few people like Guillermo to root for them!

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

well I keep telling you that!

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Thanks, mates! If Desafío wins next thursday I'll have a heart attack! :D

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

You know, I feel sorry for Chris Dickson, the NZ press and public hate him, But they have it all wrong, fine family,
    Now I want LR and les espaniols to battle the final, , the LR helmsman is one of the GOOD guys, I remember when he lost in AK how tough his boss was. Lets not forget EVER, how these wonderful helmsman have to carry the brunt of all the losses Who are we to judge?

6. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Well said, L J,

The Cup has always been a competion between groups of super-wealthy folks, sort of an "Our millionaires can beat your millionaires" thing. The boardroom choices of hull and sail suppliers play a big role. Always, however, and more so now as the ACC has matured and nearly all boats are close in speed, it comes down to match race tactics and the guys on board. They're all experts, and if I were a zillionaire, I'd hire Dickson in a minute. (Chris, the odds of me achieving that staus are just a bit remote at the moment, so don't bother sending me your resume :) )

Meanwhile, congrats to LR for a great series (they're lucky the winds were light, grrr :) ), and good luck to Desafio Espanol. While I think highly of the Kiwis, it's good to see the underdogs do well.

7. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Do you really believe that? Do you believe that if the guys from NZ team raced on the French boat (Areva) they would stand a chance against the Spanish boat? Or if the guys from Luna Rossa raced on the China team boat they would have had any chance to beat the Oracle/BMW?

I have seen the Swedish team and Mascalzone latino doing very well and no matter what, being beaten in pure speed.

What Oracle/BMW has done with Chris Dickson was stupid. They should have let him fight the last race. Put all the blame on Dickson and not on the boat is wrong and inappropriate.

8. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Vega,

I was a bit imprecise in my choice of words. I meant there is a group of boats close in performance. Just to say no one boat is far and away superior to all others in all conditions.

I agree about Ellison's replacing Dickson. More of a desperation, "Well let's try something different to shake things up" than well thought out. Better to review tactics than to replace the guy who led the effort to the semi's.

9. Roly

Roly Senior Member

It went down as a very ungracious move, but perhaps there was an element of,"lets move beyond the cup and analyse what went on here".
    I wouldn't put it quite like that LJ.The press's creditability is always taken with a grain of salt. The Dicksons are well respected here even if CD is a little on the obsessive side.

Maybe a portion of the masses,but WTF do they knoww, its doubful they know enough to vote....teehee... that should start somethin.........
    pls don't state the obvious.....damn delete do'nt work......

10. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I don't know how your BWL/Tc compares with the boats currently racing, but I think going for a narrow, low wetted surface hull is correct. One also faces a choice in designing the keel bulb how much to emphasize wetted surface reduction vs. other design factors.

Why do I say reduce wetted surface and push prismatic? Because I believe the last three America's Cup winners (perhaps the last six) pursued that logic. Remember when Alinghi was trailing TNZ at the top of the final downwind leg in 03? The wind piped up and Alinghi got legs & blew past. I don't have inside knowledge as to what Cp each boat had.... but it's my perception that from Perth forward, the winning boat has had a highish Cp, while keeping wetted surface under control.

Vessel A will beat Vessel B in the target condition.... but not by much. The race is likely to be decided on tactics. Below the target speed an off optimum Cp doesn't matter much. SA/WSA matters far more. Above the target speed, Cp matters A LOT. That's my reasoning.

That we disagree is great.... now we can have a debate.... um.... discussion. Whatever our differences, a big high five. Luna Rossa victoriossa!

11. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

Regarding Dickson, wasn't he the beneficiary of just such a move in '92, when NZ substituted him for some kid named Russell Coutts?

12. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

vega you are right, and the NZ public and press always have hated Dicckson,
    this is what i wrote to one reporter after she blamed him
    your continual sniping at Chris Dickson makes it palpably obvious that you hate the man,.
    Because of this I bypass your reports there are just a few men in the world who can do this job So win or lose take your hat off to him. You sound like a catty *****, I have no idea if you are or not, but thats the way you present
    Stuart Hearn
    Qld Au

13. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

did you read that Julie some one or others report in NZHERALD Roly?
    i dont say thsi lightly, i lived there most of my life, sailed P,s from early,

14. Roly

Roly Senior Member

L/J
    Hmm..
    Maybe your right, the great ,"kiwi knocking machine" is alive and well. Miserable bunch of a-holes some of us are.

BTW interesting bow profile comparison.
    [​IMG]

Alinghi,LR,TNZ,BO

1 person likes this.

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yeppers, she said"he spent 400mill of Ellisons money with nothing to show",
    THAT in my book is plain bloody ridiculous Tommy Lipton would shudder in his grave
    She insinuates, that all that do not come number one, are Losers!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.