ALternate sail plans?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by BHOFM, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Should you wish for information my progress it is being posted at http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/small-sailboat-design-advice-requested-26169.html. I don't know how high an Element is but I plan to car-top my boat on my minivan. I plan to rest the foredeck on the van roof then lift the transom and slide her forward. I chose a slightly longer design in the end so it would lean on the van at a lower angle, since a shorter boat require me to lift a greater percentage of its weight.

My boat is 10' x 4.5', I am also using 4mm/6 mm ply, and based on material calculations I expected it to come in around 60 lb. I have a lot of built-in buoyancy as well, so your smaller boat should be lighter than mine. Mine may be heavier than I expect, but I'll be able to weigh the complete hull in a day ot two, when her weight, good or bad, will be revealed.

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

What ever you choose, please ask a sail maker to do your sails. They are aproximatly $10 (and less) the square feet, and worth every penny.
    My two cent
    Cheers
    Daniel

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

The mast size sounds large. my plans for a 10' sailboat call for a 2.5" dia Al mast; I am actually building a 2.5" dia hollow spruce mast tapering to 1.7", with thiicker walls but about the same weight. For a 12' boat a 3.5' dia mast might look rather chunky.

I will also use polytarp for the first few sails so I can try out different designs. I will start with a spritsail, which has the advatage that it can be cut flat. However, when I decide on the sail size and design I will get a pro one made.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

65 square feet in a gaff sail, on a free standing rig is a 2.5" aluminum tube, with T-6 and a .083" wall. Or you could use a tapered birdsmouth spar with the same base but a straight taper to 1.5". Increase mast top dimension to 1.75" if using a jib. Decrease the heel dimension to 2.125" and mast head to 1.375" if low aspect Bermudan cat. Increase mast head diameter to 1.625" if a Bermudan sloop.

These all have healthy margins and assumes a 20% stave wall on the birdsmouth.

I completely concur with Daniel, in that I've made sails once (which was enough to teach me) and sail makers earn every dime that ask for.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.