Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
  #1051  
Old 12-04-2016, 09:30 PM
CT249 CT249 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Rep: 212 Posts: 831
Location: Sydney Australia
.....which is perfectly reasonable on a blast reach and from which no real overall conclusion can be drawn.
Reply With Quote
  #1052  
Old 12-05-2016, 02:09 AM
Gary Baigent Gary Baigent is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Rep: 509 Posts: 2,850
Location: auckland nz
Since he has a broken starboard foil I'm wondering whether he would use then same sail setup when on port with the intact foil doing its job. Just conjecture but maybe he would go to full main and smaller reacher. But I know nothing.
PS: that boat is getting a hiding?
Reply With Quote
  #1053  
Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 PM
tgtony52's Avatar
tgtony52 tgtony52 is offline
...
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Rep: 14 Posts: 15
Location: Tea Gardens, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRB View Post
There is a subtle but major difference which most people seem to understand. When comparing working sails, these boats still have large mainsails compared to the headsails like they have always had, so are aerodynamically similar. The same rig is being moved back to prevent nosediving by way of longer buoyant bows for a hydrostatic/dynamic difference. The mains are not tiny and being replaced by headsails. The longer bows mean similar "flying" sails are now connected to the deck as bow spits are not needed or can be much smaller. Overall there is less nosediving. The rigs are similar, there placement is different. The standard mainsail is a crucial piece of the rig as always, and has no sign of becoming vestigial equipment soon to be phased out.
Totally agree with you here Brian. It is clear when comparing the sail plan of Wild Oats pre and post surgery (see pic attached) that the main part of the rig has just moved further aft without the main changing shape or size and without it hanging over the stern. It was possible in this case as the previous position of the mainsail clew was well forward of the stern and the new position could still sit forward of the stern.

However, in comparing the rigs of the current Vendee Globe yachts with a winning boat of the event 20 years ago, moving the mast further aft on these newer boats has resulted in the foot of the main getting smaller and the foot of the staysail and/or foresail getting longer. So it would seem that the idea here was not to increase the buoyancy up front but to reduce the size of the main and increase the size of the foresails. (see pic attached)

A subtle but major difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Aftmast rigs???-vendee-globe-boats-over-20-years.jpg  Aftmast rigs???-wild-oats-11-changed-rig.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #1054  
Old 12-05-2016, 11:45 PM
CT249 CT249 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Rep: 212 Posts: 831
Location: Sydney Australia
Nice illustration, thanks.

Perhaps the movement of the mast aft in the 60s is driven by seakeeping factors related to the extremely high speed of these boats (not just their intrinsic speed, but the fact that the course allows them to spend so much time reaching in a breeze) which are not relevant to most craft. Given the obvious shroud base issues, maybe staying width is a factor too? And finally, has the actual centre of area moved aft or has the arrival of the square top moved the mast aft but not the centre of area?

Many of the same factors apply to WOXI, too, although she's more of an all-rounder.

Since the early '80s I've been sailing a class where the mast tip is often aft of the stern. It's good in some conditions, not so good in others. The development class we're mainly racing now, which is arguably the most popular high performance class in the world, doesn't seem to have changed the rig position.
Reply With Quote
  #1055  
Old 12-06-2016, 06:05 AM
gggGuest gggGuest is offline
...
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Rep: 76 Posts: 755
Location: UK
I'm not sure you can look at the rigs in isolation from the hulls. There's been a general tendency for boats to get more and more wedge shaped with the waterplane further and further aft. Its unsurprising if such craft have masts further aft too.

Amusing to note how this topic has drifted from the original proposition.
Reply With Quote
  #1056  
Old 12-06-2016, 06:39 AM
CT249 CT249 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Rep: 212 Posts: 831
Location: Sydney Australia
/\

Yep, the wedge shape was one of the seakeeping factors I was referring to.
Reply With Quote
  #1057  
Old 12-06-2016, 07:46 AM
brian eiland's Avatar
brian eiland brian eiland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,651
Location: St Augustine Fl, Thailand
Still Here Defending orginal proposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggGuest View Post
Amusing to note how this topic has drifted from the original proposition.
....the original posting that started this subject thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdardozzi View Post
Can anyone comment on aftmast rigs. I read some of Brian Eiland's stuff and recently saw a motorsailer with a aftmast bipod flying a huge genoa. I liked it a lot and want to rerig my 48 steel yawl this way if I can. Any help would be appreciated.
Yes, this now very long subject thread has had its share of digressions. But I am stlll here defending my original 'aftmast' rig idea, and trying to provide a depository for as much related information, ideas, etc that might lend support to the idea.

And I want to thank those few brave individuals that have gone off and experimented with variations and alternatives to this idea. I even want to thank the naysayers that keep us looking for improvements and justifications for the concept.

I do fear that the subject thread has gotten so long that few people would bother going back thru all the pros and cons, ...but when I think about breaking it up into a 'new/updated' discussion thread on the same subject, this old subject thread might just get lost in the wasteland of old forum subjects. That would be a shame as I have seen MANY subject threads on many different subjects that offer a wealth of information. get lost in that abyss.

(PS: the original poster made only 4 postings about modifying his steel yawl, and then disappeared from the forum??)
Reply With Quote
  #1058  
Old 12-07-2016, 06:20 AM
tgtony52's Avatar
tgtony52 tgtony52 is offline
...
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Rep: 14 Posts: 15
Location: Tea Gardens, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT249 View Post
And finally, has the actual centre of area moved aft or has the arrival of the square top moved the mast aft but not the centre of area?
Without actually doing any geometric calculations, the fact that the keels are further back suggests that the sail centre of effort has also moved back. Putting a square top on a main would move it back whether the mast is moved back or not. Moving the mast back need not necessarily change the centre of effort if the sails are recut to keep the balance.

When I moved the mast back 2 metres on my gaff cutter, I didn't want to change any of the underwater profile, so the centre of lateral resistance was fixed. Therefore I had to increase the area of the foresails and decrease the size of the main by the same amount in order to retain the same balance as before. It worked better than expected.
Reply With Quote
  #1059  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:37 AM
markstrimaran markstrimaran is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Rep: 28 Posts: 163
Location: usa
Any thing new, in the full stay sail, or cutter rigged aft mast multi hull.
Only three more months left to step the mast, and recut a head sail.
Reply With Quote
  #1060  
Old 01-08-2017, 03:26 PM
CT249 CT249 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Rep: 212 Posts: 831
Location: Sydney Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgtony52 View Post
Without actually doing any geometric calculations, the fact that the keels are further back suggests that the sail centre of effort has also moved back. Putting a square top on a main would move it back whether the mast is moved back or not. Moving the mast back need not necessarily change the centre of effort if the sails are recut to keep the balance.

When I moved the mast back 2 metres on my gaff cutter, I didn't want to change any of the underwater profile, so the centre of lateral resistance was fixed. Therefore I had to increase the area of the foresails and decrease the size of the main by the same amount in order to retain the same balance as before. It worked better than expected.
I think that, assuming the same area and mast height, moving to a squaretop reduces the boom length and therefore reduces the distance between the sail's CLE and the mast. Therefore if the CLE remained at the same point, the mast would move aft. However, I may well be wrong on this as I'm just doodling rather than calculating.

As you say, sail shape can affect CLE too, and in my experience that makes eyeballing all this very difficult because a squaretop is normally flatter and more open in the leach.

You're right about the keel position being an indication of CLE, but the long term trend to move keels and rigs aft (probably in reaction to advances in other areas of technology rather than as a speed-increasing factor in itself) blurs the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #1061  
Old 01-09-2017, 09:04 AM
brian eiland's Avatar
brian eiland brian eiland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,651
Location: St Augustine Fl, Thailand
I don't have anything new at the moment, and I am presently getting ready to go on a 2 month trip to Thailand for a winter break. Hopefully I will get busy with my outdoor test when I return,...been collecting materials.
__________________
RunningTideYachts.com
Distinctive Expedition Yachts
Reply With Quote
  #1062  
Old 01-12-2017, 06:51 AM
tgtony52's Avatar
tgtony52 tgtony52 is offline
...
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Rep: 14 Posts: 15
Location: Tea Gardens, Australia
Aft mast remote control sailing boat

Converted my remote control "Nirvana" sailboat into an aft mast rig and gave it a test run today. Still a few bugs to iron out in the rigging, but first impressions were more than encouraging. Acceleration and handling are noticeably better. Top speed seems higher - I have never outrun the wind waves before. And doesn't look half bad either.

The mast is 100mm shorter than the original (on stand in picture) and the sail area is about the same overall. I have positioned the mast where it was most easily possible to do so and this gave a reasonable size for the smaller mainsail. Essentially the main is just a tool to reduce the drag on a bare mast and to provide the balance in the overall sail plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Aftmast rigs???-p1360041.jpg  Aftmast rigs???-p1360056.jpg  Aftmast rigs???-p7300278.jpg  

Reply With Quote
  #1063  
Old 01-16-2017, 11:02 AM
brian eiland's Avatar
brian eiland brian eiland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,651
Location: St Augustine Fl, Thailand
Aftmast Design from Finland

Just recently there has been a submission to the this 'wishbone sailing rig' subject thread,...a reference to another aftmast vessel design,....postings here:
WishBone Sailing Rig

Rather nice looking vessel design. There is an attempt to get the designer/owner to join the forum and submit his contributions about the design. Should prove interesting.

...more pics and dwgs over on the other subject thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Aftmast rigs???-11382201_mfw5zz.jpg  Aftmast rigs???-11382273_ujvkft.jpg  Aftmast rigs???-purjevene-alumiinivene-636870_b_8abd78f72189699d.jpg  

Reply With Quote
  #1064  
Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 AM
sharpii2 sharpii2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Rep: 611 Posts: 1,730
Location: Michigan, USA
Pretty remarkable. Seems like a lot of stress on that back stay. If it parts or th mast buckles inward, it's all over. But a lot of the likelihood of that depends on how stiff the stability of the hull is, I suppose. The actual angle of the Back Stay seems quite small.

How long has this vessel been around?
__________________
I never learned a thing from an argument I won.
Reply With Quote


  #1065  
Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 PM
brian eiland's Avatar
brian eiland brian eiland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Rep: 1903 Posts: 4,651
Location: St Augustine Fl, Thailand
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpii2 View Post
How long has this vessel been around?
I don't know at this time. I was just made aware of if most recently when it was posted on that other subject thread. I have asked one fellow to contact the designer/owner to see if he might be willing to share his experiences.
__________________
RunningTideYachts.com
Distinctive Expedition Yachts
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Self Righting Rig Wardi Sailboats 14 06-29-2005
01:03 PM 
Reactive rigs yokebutt Sailboats 1 04-07-2005
04:46 AM 
Alternative sail rigs bfrowe Sailboats 3 01-17-2005
08:49 AM 
Cruising Sail Rigs brian eiland Sailboats 0 07-31-2004
09:55 AM 
Big Cat, alt CB's & sail rigs brian eiland Boat Design 0 10-01-2003
10:41 AM 

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Web Site Design and Content Copyright ©1999 - 2017 Boat Design Net