brian eiland
Senior Member
- Joined
- Jun 3, 2002
- Posts
- 5,565
- Reaction score
- 323
- Location
- St Augustine Fl, Thailand
Orca
The first one is a what I refer to as a wishbone mast that is placed in the aft part of the vessel. The owner of that vessel "Orca"contacted me just the other day with a new photo and this short note:
A few days after this photo we got into some good stiff breezes and hove to (just to see what she would do) in a good rolling Puget Sound
SEaster. She sat so nice and quietly over on her side about 10 degrees in 25 knots with just the staysail backed a bit and rudder up a bit. Very comfortable. That big keel and 50% ballast did the trick.
On one long stretch with all sail up (both of them), in about 10-12 knots of wind, close hauled she sailed herself in perfect balance with the tide slack or near. I had been steering her, enjoying the ride, when I realized it didn't need me so I sat back and watched her work her way up, keeping the mark very nicely. What a joy!
Regards, Owner of Orca
BTW, for more on this Wishbone Rig subject there is a separate subject thread over HERE
There are 5 different boat photos attached at this posting #118...you are right that Brian's mast has not been tested yet, however the concept is aerodynamically excellent.
You are mistaken if you say that aft masts have not been built as we already know of several, I repost their pics here.
I have spoken to the owner of boat No3 and he very happy with his rig and assures me that the she goes to windward exceptionally well.
My personal experience is that i could tack my 42' cat without problem when sailing with jib only.
Anyway, who wants to beat to windward when cruising???
The first one is a what I refer to as a wishbone mast that is placed in the aft part of the vessel. The owner of that vessel "Orca"contacted me just the other day with a new photo and this short note:
A few days after this photo we got into some good stiff breezes and hove to (just to see what she would do) in a good rolling Puget Sound
SEaster. She sat so nice and quietly over on her side about 10 degrees in 25 knots with just the staysail backed a bit and rudder up a bit. Very comfortable. That big keel and 50% ballast did the trick.
On one long stretch with all sail up (both of them), in about 10-12 knots of wind, close hauled she sailed herself in perfect balance with the tide slack or near. I had been steering her, enjoying the ride, when I realized it didn't need me so I sat back and watched her work her way up, keeping the mark very nicely. What a joy!
Regards, Owner of Orca
BTW, for more on this Wishbone Rig subject there is a separate subject thread over HERE