Add sails to a cruiser?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ICKMOCK, Feb 14, 2005.

1. ICKMOCK

ICKMOCK New Member

This probably isn't done, but has anyone ever added sails to an old wooden cruiser? Kind of convert it into a motor-sailor type, like is common in Europe. I always thought this was a dumb idea, until I was reading the Wooden Boats book by Ruhlman about the G&B shipyards and they, it seemed from his description, added a sail to a 38 foot cruiser as kind of an afterthought. I'm sure it would be a considerable refit, but can it be done?

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I have had some involvement here. It can be done most definately.

She won't go to windward uless she has sufficient lateral immersed area. Performance under sail will depend on how much sail she can carry and that depends on her righting moment (RM) i.e. hull shape and centre of gravity. Many old power cruisers added a simple main sail that could give them a few knots in a good breeze and work as a good steadying sail.

If the sail area is large then you may need a few structural additions to carry the added loads like a few addded "floors" to your framing and chainplates.

Sometimes a small keel needs adding to the deadwood to give an improved RM.

If you are handy it is not hard and a small suitable timber masted rig can ofted be had very cheaply on the 2nd hand market.

The boom can be a boon for dingy handling.

If you post photo's or drawings I can give you a good idea of the work involved. It would however pay to get a local shipright to have a look re condition of fasteners and general condition before adding the rigging loads.

3. ICKMOCK

ICKMOCK New Member

Thanks Mike, I'll get some info to you soon, just so we can have some fun speculating. Of course, I'm not looking into making a first-class sailing machine, but just want to have some fun and maybe save a little fuel when conditions are favorable. What experience have you had with this, if you don't mind?

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Prof graduate engineer , 25years + experience, work in marine engineering, boat and yacht design, rig design, survey calcs, stability, corrosion advice etc. Also a keen sailor.

I will not give you specific design info, but I will give you an idea of the work required, you may need to engage an engineer/marine architect within hailing distance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.