????????????about ballast/opinions please

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by MarioCoccon, May 10, 2006.

1. MarioCoccon

MarioCoccon Senior Member

Hi: Iam sailing a Jeaneau 27 Fantasia, the boat displacement is 5000 for a 27 for me is to light and the boat hill to much and anchored roll like a rolling stone. Another problem with this boat is that dont have bilge area just take the floors and you look everything then when you are sailing the water come out and wet everything. I thinking in only leave the middle open for view the keel bolts and cover all the floor with a fiber glass step. Its possible to put teak and holy anyway and looks like before but without the water problem. Now my ??? can I cover all that area with lead to add maybe 500 pounds of weight to the boat and then covered with fiber. Maybe that help something wright?????? Opinions please.

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Displacement is light but not too light, the boat having an D/L ratio of 228, aprox. Ballast/Disp ratio is 0.33 so not too low either, but the needing of early reefing when wind increases, has been reported. SA/D ratio of 14, is not so bad for sail performance.
    Capsize Screening Factor of 2.19 makes the boat to be in the 'unsafe' region for this parameter and Motion Comfort Ratio of 16,92 is definitively low, so movements are probably uncomfortable.
    Flat bottoms present the problem you mention (water sloshing all around when heeled) as well as probably too low frames (and so weak) at the keel bolting zone, so ask the gods not to hit the bottom with this boat.
    Adding weight under the floor will probably serve you for very little, in my opinion.
    Rocking when at anchor can be efectively dampened by using a flopper stopper at the end of the spinnaker pole positioned abeam.
    (If I were you I'd rather sell this Fantasi and buy a proper boat :eek:)
    Cheers

3. MarioCoccon

MarioCoccon Senior Member

Hi Guillermo and thanks again, I was the owner of the two unique Fantasia 27 here in Puerto Rico and Iam with you with the keel bolt area, looks funny and weak. I sell the boats long time ago but I still using one of them but that thing of more than 30 degrees with a little 15 knts wind is uncomfortable. About the anchor thing I try one time in the Virgins loose all the boom and attached to the lowers then putted a paint bucket about two feet below the water, help a little bit but i think needs more pounds or something more big. Thanks again.

4. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

I think adding 500 pounds internal ballast actually will make a noticable difference in stability on light flat bottomed boats. In this case it would also be wise to beef up the keel laminate, before adding the ballast.

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

you could try using bricks to see were you want it and how much ,,then do the permanant thing

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.