'59 NINA (Burgess design) - Lost but not forgotten

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by NINA grandson, Feb 11, 2006.

1. NINA grandson

NINA grandson New Member

Please assist with the location of the Burgess designed 59' yacht - NINA. The boat was built in Bigelow Boat Yard - Monument Beach, Massachusetts during the late 1920's and won a US to Spain race in the early 1930's. The yacht was well documented as part of the Resenfield Collection - Mystic Seaport, and was the flagship for the New York Yacht Club. My last report (un-verified) detailed the boat in the Patuxent River, Maryland area being restored by a new owner. I would appreciate any information on the 59' NINA as my great-grandfather is Rueben Bigelow (original boatbuilder).

Thanks for your time (in advance),

David Danielson

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Three years ago I worked on a reproduction of NINA built by Covey Island Boatworks in Nova Scotia. At that time the client mentioned in conversation that the original NINA was still actively sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, but I cannot confirm that. Maybe John Steele at Covey Island can help you.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Last I saw NINA (70's) she was at City Island NY being run by a no account that avoided the 6 pack and other charter rules by being a "club".

The "club" members were to slave at maint (remarlably UNSKILLED) and eventually would be allowed aboard for a ride.

A sad chapter in the life of a great boat

FAST FRED

4. NINA grandson

NINA grandson New Member

Thanks - Great info!
    If anyone in the Ft. Lauderdale area can confirm this report, I would be very appreciative.