40class boats

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Vega, Oct 29, 2006.

1. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Oh My I do like that one!
    Does the text say anything about the keel fin?
    It seems to angle aft

2. Vega

Vega Senior Member

It says only that it is has retractable keel with an integral well (from the bottom to the deck) and the fins are also retractable, at the contact of any obstacle.

The boat is made of plywood and epoxy with a carbon mast.

The boat designer is an old racer that used to design his own boats in the mini class. The boat is for Benoit Hochart but the designer is going to make with him the Transat Jaques Vabres (a duo Transat) certainly only to have a feedback of how the boat sails:D (and I bet that he is going to have a lot of fun).

http://www.nautique-sevres.org/actualites1/20061020-JacquesVabre2007/plaquetteHochart/page4.pdf

http://www.nautique-sevres.org/actualites1/20061020-JacquesVabre2007/plaquetteHochart/page3.pdf

3. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Attached Files:

4. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Attached Files:

5. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Attached Files:

6. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Attached Files:

7. Vega

Vega Senior Member

It is a beautiful boat, but it is an Open 40 (as many on that class). Open 40s are Open boats and were (and are) very expensive. This one has a canting keel (very innovative for 1995), foils and is a lot lighter than a 40class boat and hugely more expensive.

The Class40 has to do with price contention and good performance with small money. They can not be made with exotic (expensive) materials, they can not have foils or canting keels and because they are made with inexpensive materials, they are heavier and not as fast as an Open 40.

Contrary to the 40class, the Open40 class, that was meant also as an introductory class for the Open50s (and later 60s), was not a big success. Boats were (and are) very expensive for the job.

8. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Attached Files:

9. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Guillermo, thanks for the plug! That particular boat (Vik's) went on to become the fastest (and only!) Scandinavian around the world non-stop, under the hand of Jan Moeller, and was then sold to Nico Budel who took her across in the last OSTAR as "Hayai", winning his class. Admittedly, he was the only finisher in his class, but the field was impressive at the start (10-plus if I remember rightly)
    Steve "semi-retired, working for an old friend in the boat-building business"

10. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I am going to make a small detour around the subject of this thread, but I am curious and I guess that I won’t be the only one.

Stephen, that boat has circumnavigated and has been sailing extensively and for what you have said, it looks to me that it is has been a very reliably race boat, although having an almost pioneering canting keel.

The canting keel is still the one from the original design? You got it right the first time or has it been changed or modified?

Attached Files:

11. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Vega,
    Yes, it is the original keel and system, although it has had a couple of "tweaks" since new. The biggest tweak was to push the keel further each way (increasing RM) when Jan took her over, since he did not have to abide by the 10-degree rule for his trip. All this needed was to raise the trunnion pin a bit, although the raising required considerably more effort than the telling about it :)
    I wish I could take credit for the canting system, but all of the engineering on the boat was done by Dirk Kramers, one of the best engineers I have ever worked with, even thuogh I STILL complain about his stuff now that I am somewhat responsible for getting some of it built.
    Steve

12. Vega

Vega Senior Member

This 40class is the one designed by Sam Manuard. Sam is one of the top Mini designers (his boats have wined the 6.5 Transat in 2005 and have wined the first leg in 2003).

A boat is being made in Canada for Eric Tabardel and Damien De Pas (Quebec).

http://sam.manuard.free.fr/index.htm

Attached Files:

13. Vega

Vega Senior Member

The one designed by Olivier Philippot for Cécile Poujol.

Attached Files:

14. Vega

Vega Senior Member

This is the EXOCET 40’ and is designed by Elie Canivenc. Elie is a ocean racing sailor (from the minis) that has graduated in Naval Architecture (Southampton). A boat is in construction and will race the Jaques-Fabre Transat. The hull have chines and is made of a Glass/Airex/epoxy sandwish. All pieces are made by infusion.

The boat can have an optional lifting keel, with a draft of 3m / 0,7m.

http://www.elie-canivenc.com/realisations/exocet40.pdf

http://www.elie-canivenc.com/realisations/exocet40.htm

http://www.elie-canivenc.com/realisations.htm

Attached Files:

15. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.