4 Meter mono foiler project

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wind_apparent, Apr 27, 2008.

1. wind_apparent

wind_apparent wind driven speed addict

thats the part I love too:D ,my everyday job is in electronics R&D, so tech problems and real world problem solving is my natural environment.

I can already see the $$$$$$$ part becoming a problem right away with the way prices are skyrocketing on everything. I've already found some partial sponsors for kit, but I'm thinking of putting a pitch and package together and shopping for a finacial backer, got some leads so I hope something works out.

I'm just happy to be done drawing, I'm taking my summer vacation at the end of this week (10 days in St. Simons Island GA) and I'll come back refreshed and ready to work. bullit lists are my friend, just like to be crossing stuff off, don't really care what, it all needs to get done eventually.

I like this idea alot, not sure if it would work for my application because of the stress involved in having the foils support all the weight, need it to be locked in and stable because I want to go flapless with the rudder foil, so no shock cords for me.... but keep me posted on how it's working out, because I'm sure I can glean something from it and I'm not ready to give up on dual tillers just yet......

I've been looking for these as well, I only seem to be able to find the expensive ones in sailing catologs, hope to find some cheap ones in Mcmastercarr or something....I think I might go through a fair number of them just messing around, guess I should find out what they are made of and
    machine a bunch on the lathe.

How do they feel about the gantry when its blowing? I have a gantry to extend the hull and add to foil separation and thats about it. mothies have to throw their whole body around to move their weight because they are sitting down, if I'm out on the trap I can do the same thing with a lot less effort by taking a couple of steps backwords and leaning out:D (ah the trapeze) if you watch Sam Pascoe in the Rs600ff vid (the original light air one) and then in his moth vids you can see how much easier it is to be fluid on the 600 by just moving your feet instead of lurching your body while sitting down on the moth. I have been thinking of some devise for AOI control (F-box) on the main lifting foil, mostly I'm not that sure how to make a case that allows fore/aft pivot movement without being sloppy or messing up foil edges...:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

2. bistros

bistros Previous Member

I've done a lot of i8031, Z80, i80x86, 68000 embedded systems work ages ago. Mostly real time stuff coded in assembly language & C. Been involved in creating a few application specific real time operating systems. Banking, transaction processing.

I've done a re-think and mentally went back to first year engineering - What is the most efficient offset drive system at low cost? Chain drive. Think about a plastic chain drive wrapping around a tiller mounted sprocket and routed back through the tiller to turn 90 degrees around a couple nylon idlers and go through the rudder core to wrap around another sprocket on the lateral foil axis. No slop, positive control in both push and pull, ability to add microfine detent for hands off control position lockdown. Would preclude a retractable rudder as lengths need to be fixed. Very light if done right.

In terms of load, that is more of a design factor regarding offset of bell crank lever arm from the rotational axis than it is a given.

There are lots of options to consider here outside the realm of expensive sailing parts. One I've thought of is using short sections of the stainless steel mesh over rubber hose tubing used for household plumbing. Another choice would be stainless steel automotive gas lines. Both offer enough flex, they are not sloppy under rotational torque and can be cleanly shortened to a 15-20cm length which would fit this application cleanly.

The other major benefits of gantries are:

- They make your tiller extensions useful from the trapeze from the back of the rack. Conventional tiller placement used from the back of extended racks makes the extensions join the tiller at an extreme acute angle and they are mechanically problematic.
    - They open up the cockpit by moving the tiller further back making for easier crossings on maneuvers.
    - There is a school of thought that gantry mounted rudders appear to have the effect of increasing apparent waterline length of a given hull without increasing wetted surface area.

3. yachtyakka

yachtyakka Junior Member

4. wind_apparent

Sure, any extra publicity would be great.:p

SR-71 Monofoiler

Designers Name: Samuel Schneider, Boulder CO USA
    LOA: 4m + 55cm gantry
    Beam At Chines: 38cm
    Beam At Gunnels: 80cm
    Beam of Racks: 180cm, adjustable out to 250cm
    Rocker: 3cm bow and stern
    Mast Length: 6.5m + 50cm kingpin (7m overall)
    Boom Length: 240cm
    Sail Area: 11sm (full batten pocket luff)
    Target Weight: 38-40kg all up
    Proposed Setup: Trapeze equipped, end boom sheeting, dual tillers, standard vang, downhaul and outhaul.
    Rudder Foil: NACA 66014 vertical, H105 lifting section
    Main Foil: NACA 66014 vertical, H105 lifting section 7deg vertical AOA
    Construction: Carbon/Kevlar/Epoxy with Foam core

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

6. wind_apparent

thanks Doug, taken care of.:D

7. yachtyakka

yachtyakka Junior Member

8. wind_apparent

let me send you some full size hi res pics and a little more info.......

9. wind_apparent

It looks like I'm going to be able to use rubber hose as the universal joint on my double tiller, now I need to figure out how they will connect to the gears that turn the AOI shaft, if I can't work it out, at least I know a good working system for rudder flap control.

watch this vid at about the 32sec mark

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKNYmacedDM&eurl

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

----------------------------------
    Nice Layout here ,Sam!

11. yachtyakka

yachtyakka Junior Member

any chance getting those specs?

thanks for the visit Doug, Should post some of those computer images soon

12. yachtyakka

yachtyakka Junior Member

have you sent these yet? nothing has arrived yet

13. wind_apparent

no, I'm out of town right now, but I'll get them to you as soon as I'm on my comuter.....

14. wind_apparent

Back in town, and it looks like I'm famous:rolleyes: There are two known things in the world of sailing, if you don't have pics it didn't happen, and once you've made it to sailing anarchy your probably screwed:D

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=76991

thanks for the press release Bistros:D

I guess this is what happens when you name your project after a the worlds fastest spy plane, if I can't stay under the radar at least maybe I can outrun the hype ;)

15. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Hey, I was trying to use a Jedi Mind trick to get the radar off you till next spring. Someone found you through the yachtyakka site and outed you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.