4 Meter mono foiler project

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by wind_apparent, Apr 27, 2008.

1. foilman24

foilman24 Junior Member

So Sam, with all this electronic wand control talk thats been going on today, would electronic control be allowed in the proposed SR-71 foiler class?

2. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

From the RRS:

52 MANUAL POWER
    A boat’s standing rigging, running rigging, spars and movable hull
    appendages shall be adjusted and operated only by manual power.

The Class rule can change this, but unless the class rule specifically states Rule 52 does not apply, the boat cannot use electrically powered systems.

3. wind_apparent

wind_apparent wind driven speed addict

I have been following this through out the day, I would be very much for it. My everyday job is in Electronics R&D and production, so I don't really have a problem with electronic control. I think it would be a great development if it meant the boat would be faster, more efficient, and easier to sail. And as stated before. I could just write in the class rules that rule 52 would not apply to this class, although I would stipulate that "flap control" would be the only accepted use of Non manual power. (I know firsthand how out of control unregulated electronic craziness can get almost right off the bat, and how things that were originally created to make things easier often become more of a hassle than the original system.) I would like to congratulate Clive Everest on his fantastic development in foiling technology, keep up the good work.

4. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

So, What's Next and Just Who Will be Around to Do It?

I agree with your points here, Sam...

While the electronic potential exists for some kind of flap control be it forward or aft foils, or whatever... there also exists a potential for wholesale expansion of this entire electron based medium for other significant component monitoring and adjustments while under sail. This represents some real problems from where I sit.

Example:

While I do see the canting keel business as a logical, technological extension of the monohull realm FOR RACING. I do not like the full-time powered engine approach for the rest of the sailing environment. In fact, it disgusts me.

If the big boys want to push their, apparently unlimited, dollars out the window of technology, hoping for the best against their equally wealthy adversaries, then, by all means, get it on boys. Just do the sailing world a favor and also create a contained, unlimited class for your boats. In a gentlemanly fashion, you might also acknowledge the magnificence and the presence of the most elementally connected form of sailing (the non-engine powered canters) in each and every race in which you enter, paying them their due.

Once the engine powered nonsense invaded the scene, then the ridiculous, no-holds barred expressions of "hmmm, let's see just where can we next dedicate this freaking' engine in the hold, idea" And soon, my friends, probably within your lifetimes, you will see boats out there with but vestigial remnants of their once proud sailing heritage.

I do not want to see that same kind of developmental inevitability, hit the smaller boats, where most of us dwell with our fully humanized budgets and realistic time constraints. Want to push the next average Joe right out the window with his desire to get engaged in the sport, the best way to do just that is to instill a hardware war, where an ever-escalating dollar figure is attached the beauty of what once was.

Over the hill to their X-Boxes and leaving behind only a small bit of dust upon their exit, they will scatter.

Big bucks electronic and engine driven racing for the he-men of the sport... Sure, knock yourselves friggin' out.

Just leave my affordale meanderings in the beauty of sail alone and give some of the new guys a chance to get into it without having to be graced by wads of cash and a patient gal who absolutely knows that we are all crazy.

It is for that reason that I'd like to see the Mothies become even more regulated and completely cancel out their wayward love affair with the foil boys. Create a new class of boats, with all kinds of sizes and purposes, don't call them Moths and let them be on their way for whatever the future will grant them.

Rant Over...

Chris Ostlind
    Lunada Design
    Www.lunadadesign.com

5. wind_apparent

I would agree to the electronic flap control because it takes the slop out of the wand system and I forsee it being contained in a box about the same size as a Volocitech, probably about the same price as well. So not really a problem. I bet it wouldn't be "that" much faster than a wand boat, at least at first anyway. (it would also be cool to hook your volocitech to your electro-wandamathingy and let it change its control settings based off of the GPS speed data.)

6. foilman24

foilman24 Junior Member

you better TM that whole electro-wandamathingy name before someone else does. :D

7. wind_apparent

(I've had some requests for me to start posting by blog posts here like I did at the beginning, so I will...:cool: )

So, spent the last couple nights gluing and cutting and sanding my stanchions. They are looking good. Still need to dado the notches out of all the stanchions, and also biscuit together my two piece frames, but aside from that I hope to start getting stanchions mounted to the support structure in the near future.

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      501.4 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      742.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  8. wind_apparent

Decided that it would be best to use a jigsaw to cut out the frame tabs instead of gang clamping the stanchions and using the dado on the table saw. They have turned out pretty nice I think. I used an old crap desk as a clamping surface (only flat skinny thing I had around.) I now have to biscuit together my remaining 2 piece frame sets and cut the tabs on them, and it should be time to start mounting stanchions on Monday. (Tonight's picture was provided by my daughter Melody)

Attached Files:

9. wind_apparent

It's late and all the stanchions are done. All glued and biscuited, all trimmed, all tabbed. Stacked them all together to show what my hull should look like. Monday I can start mounting them on the strong back frame.

Attached Files:

10. wind_apparent

I've had some (including myself) question the safety of this project, well I've found the answer to that. While out and about I found a cheap ($20) Bell bike helmet on sale, figure it might be a good thing to add to my sailing gear for the "tuning" stage. It was the right price, was yellow (for safety) and has an image of the Virgin Mary on the back (I'm not what you'd call a "God" fearing man, but at speed, up on the foils, and out on the wire, lets just say every bit helps).

Attached Files:

11. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

My old Bell cycling helmet has the logo of the band FEAR on the back.

I am not a "God" fearing man, but I do believe in Lee Ving.

12. wind_apparent

It's starting to look like a boat......

Stayed up late drilling out all the 1'' dowel support holes in the hull stanchion frames, and started mounting them this morning. Mounted five first break, and five second break, and stayed after work for a little while and mounted eight more. Only have a couple left, which should get finished tomorrow. Then I need to glue in the dowels that support the upper portion of the frames and its time to start stapling on 1/4'' plywood for the skin. So excited.......(I am a lot farther than these pictures show, these are from this afternoon, I'll have bigger, up to date ones tomorrow)

Attached Files:

13. wind_apparent

Woke up early, started mounting the last couple of stanchions, didn't get them all done because I had to do some special treatment to #22 (the bow) to get it on just right. got everything mounted though except for that one. I also spent 30min anchoring all the frames to the dowel rods, tried to use wood glue and spring clamps but the clamps kept slipping from not enough pressure and the glue was just really slick, so after fighting with that for a while, (the frame/dowel placement is what makes everything square vertically) I finally just grabbed some 1'' deck screws and pinned the frames in place from each side (I realize now that I don't have a picture of this, so I'll put one up tomorrow) worked really well, all the frames are "dead nuts" square and don't move at all. I mounted the final bow stanchion and trimmed the dowels on my way out the door but didn't have time to snap any pictures, I'll post some first thing tomorrow of the finished mould skeleton.

(pictures files where to big, if you want to see them just click on the blog link in my signature)

14. wind_apparent

Here are the pics of the finished skeleton and also of my deck screw centering system (I know its not pretty but it works great.) I'm thinking of moving on to my other two mould skeletons before I skin anything.

Attached Files:

15. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

My experiences with this sort of thing have always been with thinner materials. With the compound curves near your sheer will 1/4" ply take the contour?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.