21st Century Daysailer/Weekender

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

21st Century Daysailer / Weekender

Since there are a lot of new people who may not have seen this thread I thought I'd bump it up and see if there are any new suggestions. Please take the time to check out the whole thread.
    Thanks!

Pictures: TS-18 an 18' daysailor I designed and did the tooling for-88 sold, The "20' Motorsailer"- a one off mini motorsailer/weekender with a 15hp Yanmar based on the 18 hull with a 2' swim platform and fixed keel added. Inside and outside steering station. Lots of fun especially when it was rough.

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      194.8 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      179.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      339.4 KB
      Views:
  2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Aspect Ratio is generally a comparison of the length (Span) of the wing to its width (cord), not thickness. IIRC, the formula goes like this:

Span * Span/Area = Aspect Ratio

For a keel, centerboard, or dagger board, the formula would be like this:

Depth * Depth/Area = Aspect Ratio.

Cord (Width, in the case of airplane wings, or or Length, in the case of keels) is not mentioned in this formula because, with most wings, the Cord varies along the span, usually being greater at the root than at the tip.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

21st Century Daysailer / Weekender

The Nomad was not mentioned previously and should be-it seems like a great daysailer. Designed by Bob Ames......

LOA: 17'2”
    Beam: 8'
    Draft: 4'2”
    Sail Area: 175 Square Feet
    Hull Weight: 625 Pounds
    Colors: Blue hull
    See the pdf below( a bit dated but still interesting):

(click on image)

Attached Files:

4. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

sun cat

Have you looked at the Com-Pac Sun Cat? That is at the top of my dream list ( pretty pricey for my wallet ) but it looks good, is easy to rig and has minimal accomodations for two.

5. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Daysailer/Weekender

Looks like a Lightning, sans chines, comfy, up dated...very nice boat...wonder how long it takes to rig off trailer?

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Maribelle

This is one of the most innovative new designs(by jelfiser) for a daysailer that I have had the pleasure to run into-a sailboat/rib.
    http://www.maribelle.it/?setlang=en

click on image:

Attached Files:

7. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Sorry but I don't understand the point. Get to drag around the extra weight of the collar? Get to bump into stuff? Hoping that just being different gets you a market?
    Not sure I'd want the collar there if it capsized.

8. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

The inflatable collar does add some top hamper, but nothing like a solid step of the same buoyancy.

It is helpful for three reasons:

1.) It acts as floatation, should the hull get swamped,
    2.) In combination with the keel, it adds righting moment at more extreme degrees of heel (say, 45 to 90 deg.), and
    3.) It allows the main hull to be somewhat slimmer for light air work.

Phil Bolger was a great fan of stepped body plans for sailboats. He designed at least one, which was to row well and sail well. The slim part of the hull had a wider, fuller section just above the LWL. When the boat was rowed, this fuller section would'n touch the water (at least in calm conditions, when it would most likely be rowed). When sail was set, the boat would heel, immersing the leeward fuller section, vastly increasing the righting moment.

When I look at what this inflatable collar does, I see a stepped body plan, which, unlike the squared off step, which Bolger and others tried to design, this rounded step will never create two separate immersed sections which would make it technically a multihull.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  9. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

I think the best design for the intended purpose is the ECO 6. It has to be the fastest, roomiest boat of the bunch. But if he "No hull conacavity" rule applies here, the best bet is to lose the v birth, put the private head there, sitting head room behind the head and put the bunk under the cockpit. the design challenge there would be figuring out how to make that work. Design it to be an easy to build, single chine hull, that isnt horribly ugly, and design it to use a second hand rig, like the maples 24 trimaran.

10. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

4) Also more stable upside down.
    As much as I like Bolger designs he wasn't exactly known for his performance boats

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===================
    I looked up the ECO 6 and it is as you say. Something like this may have potential: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sa...iler-weekender-design-raison-detre-40561.html

Rough Sketch inspired by David Raisons successful scow mini. This thing would have huge interior room for a relatively small boat:
    click on image # 3--

Attached Files:

12. rapscallion

I think the tunnel hull scow in this size range makes a lot of sense. The boat will be fast for it's size, and still has potential for a working interior. I think it would be a great boat. Also, a design in this size range could use a beach cat rig... which is a plus.

Something like a Pilgrim 590 with a beach cat rig would be a cost effective way to go, if a tunnel hull isn't allowed.

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

======================
    Somehow I missed this( post 13 ) earlier. Seems like a version of DSS might be perfect for a performance daysailer/weekender. The foil or foils could be retractable or they could be inserted into trunks and be removable for trailering and left fixed for sailing. They'd have their greatest benefit off the wind offering wetted surface reduction and a tremendous increase in RM. Something to consider in a very shallow draft, effective lifting foil.....

click on image:

Attached Files:

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-----------------
    Who's going to disallow a tunnel hulled scow? I still have reservations but it would be fun to test the idea. With any "roomy" small boat(cat or scow) the tendency to overload it would irresistable to many people-not sure how that would play out. I could see little boats like this getting a reputation for being slow when, in fact, they have a half ton of stuff scattered about.

15. rapscallion

I agree with you there. The Duo 440 looks interesting too. It would fit the bill proposed here as well. I know what my monohull ultimate weekender would look like...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.