21st Century Daysailer/Weekender

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Dec 31, 2009.

1. K4s

K4s Junior Member

How about this...Speedy as around a race course,light weight to tow,lives on a trailer,just enough accommadation to spend a reasonably comfortable weekend away for 2 or 3,4 if friendly:D

Attached Files:

2. K4s

K4s Junior Member

Couple more pics.
    It is a Dale 7.6,one off built by the local boat yard owner to compete with the Elliott 7.9 when it first came out.More than held its own.
    Runs both fractional and masthead assy sails.
    All up wieght,boat,rig,sails and trailer is 1250kg.

Attached Files:

3. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

I like your rig. Is the mast a tapered circular section? How would you construct the luff fairing ? is the luff attached to the mast ,the whole assembly over rotating, or is the the boom rigidly attached to the mast and only the luff over rotating? I am trying to design a free standing rotating wing mast that is as light as possible and that bends at least as much for and aft as athwart ship. I thought about an egg shaped section with an attached flexible semi rigid non structural fairing on a carbon frame for the sail track but I think your idea has more merit.

4. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Hey K4s
    thanks for that, thats a sweet looking little boat.

Itchy

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The luff is made of sail material over "hoops" that are attached to the mast, though freely slide up and down when hoisting or dousing. The hoops are rigid and the fabric makes a scallop leading edge shape, which hopefully will generate some counter rotating vortices and keep laminar flow attached longer. The mast rotates taking the luff with it. The mast is a continuous round tube extrusion , no taper and it has to be this way for a free standing stick. It could have taper, but would have to be round. An oval or tear drop shaped would be too stiff in one direction and just right in others, which is unacceptable.

6. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

What about a somewhat skinny daggerboard-equipped, beachable, rowable, polyethylene molded sprit-sail rigged water-ballasted boat with some permanent reserve ballast down to increase safety and built-in flotation and a small cuddy cabin for under 3 grand...would it be do-able? I think something like this might sell to the kayaker who wants more...okay..under 4 grand...would be a challenge but I think It could be a possibility...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  7. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Yes, your point is a very good one. It reminded me of earlier days, when I sailed an Ensign. The cuddy/cabin doors would close and the ladies were overjoyed to find the large bucket placed between the boat's v-berths...of course, we had plied them with copious amounts of demon rum and maybe some herb. By potty time, no one cared, some ignored the doors altogether.

It was sort of a rite of passage then. Us boyos loved it, but I did keep the boat even, did not want a mutiny before the barrel went dry.

I had forgotten that. Thanks, B.

8. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

How about 5.5 x 2.25 metre Cox's Bay Skimmer - two miserable bunks under the decks forward - otherwise a lightweight (125 kgs) dayboat, water ballast if required, unstayed wing masts - apologies to those who have seen Dreadnought before.

Attached Files:

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I'd say I love it but I think I already did. I just noticed that it is not a multihull with foils-are you sure its yours?
    Seriously, I think it is one very cool boat!

10. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I think set up time is the most ignored issue.

If I were going with a conventional jib headed 3/4 rig, probably one of the best ever invented. I would get rid of the battens. They do improve performance but man what a hassel. I would then put the mast in a tabernacle, so I could raise and lower it myself. The boom and vang would go on the tabernacle and not the mast, so the boom would stay rigged even after the mast was down. The jib would be rigged with a simple down haul. It would be either all the way up or all the way down. The main would have two reef points.

I would do away with the cuddy cabin and have one lockable water tight compartment at each end. One would be long or wide enough to store the cumbersome but often necessary outboard. Out of sight, out of theft. It would be properly vented for engine and fuel storage. Overnight accommodations would be either on wide seat benches or on the cockpit sole, under a boom tent. Perhaps a fabric dodger with a curtain at the aft end could be used for privacy issues

I would want a hull more suited for some hard knocks and rough conditions than one for speed. One often gets few days to go sailing, so one does not get to pick the best among them. If I can't sail it securely in a thirty knot wind, I'm not interested. In the event of a capsize, I should be able to right it in deep water by myself and get back underway.

The boat should be taken down or made ready to sail within five minutes from a trailer or a stack shed, like where runabouts are often stored. Slip rent is becoming tooo expensive, and I expect more people to be sailing in the future as fuel prices coast out of sight and as pocketbooks get smaller. New ways of accommodating them will need to be found. Stack storage may become an attractive option.

As you can see, what I would want is quite conventional and probably already quite available. Newer does not always mean better.

BTW- drop keels, minus all the ballast concentrated at the end, are older than centerboards. They have been around for hundreds of years. In the early 1800's, the British even tried them on some of their war ships.

11. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Well, it is longer that your original 20 feet, Its 26'. But, you did say weekender and that's what this was designed for.

[​IMG]
    In the water with kiddies.

[​IMG]
    Inside, see there's bunks.

[​IMG]
    On the trailer..

For more pix we have this facebook site : http://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-Coast-Dart/184959066289

And there you have it.

-jim lee

12. souljour2000

Sharpiii,you nailed it down pretty darn good...this might be the best post in answer to the original question so far...The tent you mentioned could be a custom cockpit tent that is made for the boat and sold with it as part of the package...or as an option. Rugged construction you mentioned as well...
    ....I just came back from running an errand and as I passed our local tiny beach area called Indian Beach there was a rather vintage-looking San Juan 21 up on the beach.It's blowing 25kts out of the south today here...I spoke to the two guys who had been on her who were standing up near the road waiting for a tow from the Sarasota Sailing squadron to take them back over to City island.They had been racing with a few other boats when the oil canning from the pounding had made a crack in their hull just behind the bow entry area...one had been bailing while the other sailed until they could get to shore...not surprisingly...they both looked pretty shaken...

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Ls-20

This is a little longer than the original specs. The accomodation could be easily created with a tent. It is from the Landing School:
    http://www.landingschoolboats.com/LS20.html
    -------
    LS-20 Specifications
    LOA 21' 9"
    LWL 18'
    Beam 5' 11 "
    Draft 4' 6"
    Displacement 835 lbs
    Sail Area (main & jib) 386 sq ft

Attached Files:

14. souljour2000

Nice design Doug..but the thread was more about daysailers/wekenders..that boat there is a racer pretty much...looks fast for sure for that size boat

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-------------
    You're right but I thought the concept was interesting enough to include as some others have-I started the thread to get some idea of what others were thinking along these lines. Its almost impossible to keep these threads exactly on topic but I agree that, with a few exceptions, we should all try.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.