1982 Kingfisher 21 plus, Any idea or advice?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by yasrkasem, Oct 3, 2011.

1. yasrkasem

yasrkasem New Member

Dear All,
    i'm planning to have my first boat, I saw an ad. for 1982 Kingfisher 21 plus, i contact the owner and he send me some pictures, it's not look that good looking but sure its age thing and need some paint and redecoration.
    But,
    Is it a good boat for starting sailing?
    any one have experience with this kind of boats?
    is it easy to be trailed as it's bilge boat?
    any personal experience about the interior and if is it good for small family?
    thanks in advance for any advices.

Yasser

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

My data base doesn't show the Kingfisher 21, but it does show a Kingfisher 20 (several versions) and a Kingfisher 22, which also had some model run changes.

[​IMG]

What sail number does your have? Does it have a HIN? Lastly I my data base suggests production stopped in 1981, making a 1982 model a little odd.

3. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Sailboat Data.com lists the Kingfisher 20 and 22. Production of the 20 was stopped in 1978. "KINGFISHER 22 1978 to 1981. Sail Numbers 465 to x. This is identical to the K20+ except for a change in appearance when marketed by Kingfisher Yachts. The renaming to K22 was directly related to the boat length of 21''7" . This model was listed in the P.B.O. guide to yachts in 1978 as the Hasler KINGFISHER 22.

Perhaps it was sold in '82, thus the confusion on dates.

If it is structurally sound, as a day sailer probably fine. An overnight stay could be classified as camping.

4. yasrkasem

yasrkasem New Member

Hello
    this was informative, thanks a lot, i will take a look to the boat this weekend and thin i will update you about my finding, any idea about how should i pay for such model age boat?
    any special things i should ask and check before taking any decision?
    thanks

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Considering it's age and pedigree, you shouldn't pay much.

6. alistairdxb

alistairdxb New Member

do you still have the boat?

hi yasser - do you still have the boat? there is an identical one in Al Hamra marina - are you interested to sell?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.