14 foot plywood dinghy sailplan

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by slomoshun, Sep 25, 2011.

1. slomoshun

slomoshun Junior Member

Sails ordered

I have ordered sails from Quantum sails.
    The panels are calculated by computer in the states, and the local sailmaker in South Africa cuts and stitches them.
    The sail area is about 11sq m. and will be a fully battened main with square top.
    Thanks to all for suggestions.
    I will post a pic of my Enigma when it is finished.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Sails

Congratulations! Looking forward to see her sail....

3. slomoshun

slomoshun Junior Member

Launch of Enigma

She is very tender when seated at the thwart, and thus very fast in light wind.
    By moving weight aft, she becomes more stable.
    I have not sailed in in strong wind yet.
    Not for the feint hearted!

Wali

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  4. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Slightly off topic, but close, when it comes to size; here's a simple but powerful una rig on the popular Jim Young 2.8m dinghy; there are larger versions too, 3.5m and more, but then they switch to headsail and main rigs, but a 14 foot hull with big una rig would really perform. Never could understand how the horrible and slow Optimist and P Class dinghies gained popularity when making a comparison to this sensible, stable (even when flooded) and much faster design. Jim Young has sold over a thousand plans so there are quite a few enlightened sailors out there enjoying the boat.

Attached Files:

5. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Well done Wali !
    Taking your concept from the drawing board to the water is no mean feat. The boat looks nicely finished and you have reason to be proud of a fine looking ship.

Not for the feint hearted indeed! You will be doing some heavy duty stacking out once you get to 15-20knots TWS. That fine bow will slice nicely through the waves upwind, but you better be looking at some quick and fancy footwork down the back to keep it out of the drink after the bear-off in strong winds and a bit of chop.

Good luck on the water, there is a good bit of southern hemisphere sailing season to come, so keep us up to date with progress as you come to grips with sailing the boat and getting her tuned up.

Cheers,
    Jeff

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=======================
    Good to see Wali! Can't tell: did you go with a square top? Looks like you did a great job!

7. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Gary, you are right, it does.

8. Gary Baigent

Actually I'm not implying that a big una rig on Wali's boat would be a good idea - because it wouldn't because of the very fine bow sections on this boat - you need a fuller section there to take the forward mast position. There already is a similar sized, very popular, sailing dinghy with an una setup - one guess!
    With the recent success of the Raison 6.5m scow bow mini Transat winner, a 4m sort of similar version with una rig would be an ideal fast and simple design.
    What boat are you referring to JRD?

9. JRD

JRD Senior Member

My own boat actually.....
    Its an NS14 hull with essentially a 12 footer 3rd mainsail, trapeze etc for single handed sailing. Its been modified to take the mono rig, new centrecase, mast step etc.

Attached Files:

• 14ft.JPG
      14ft.JPG
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
  10. Gary Baigent

Well, you don't seem to lack for power with that setup. Cheers.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===================
    Nice looking boat and rig,JRD! Because I'm working(a very little bit here and there) on a 12' "L60" concept and maybe later a design could you post the numbers for your boat-like SA, weight, beam, crew weight and crew movement range-and anything else you thing might be relevant? I'd sure appreciate it....

12. JRD

JRD Senior Member

Hi Doug,

Some details for you below:
    The hull is from an NS14 - Aero 6 designed by Michael Nash
    LOA 4300mm
    Beam 1800mm
    Hull weight approx 70kg (Minimum weight for NS14 is 64kg, and this one is pretty old and my alterations won't have made it any lighter, but I havent weighed it)
    Sail area 10.5m2, the mast is a Ctech HM carbon mast , very light and stiff as you will see from the photo
    Crew weight - Hmmmm, about right to sail a Finn, but damn it I hate hiking

The hull is a nice design, and given its new use here, a credit to its designer given that it was built in the early 90s, but really too heavy for best performance on a trapeze skiff. It could also do with more planing surface as the bottom is quite rounded. Again this is a reflection on its new use, and also indicates the design direction taken with NS14s in more recent times.

My changes were to move the mast step, add a carbon tube spaceframe to take the increased rig loads. I also replaced the centrecase for a 12 foot skiff centreboard and moved it aft for the mono rig.

Whilst the rig does have a lot of power, it is deceptively managable. With a bit of adjustment it is quite sailable in over 20 knots, over 25 I would be putting in a reef which reduces sail by about a 1m2. Full trapezing at about 8 knots and it can windward plane between 15-20 knots windspeed depending on sea state.

Happy to share any other info that may help your project.

Cheers
    Jeff

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

14. slomoshun

slomoshun Junior Member

More Pics of the Enigma (named BAZINGA).

I had a problem after the pic was taken. I hiked out in a gust and the toe-strap mounting block pulled away (I was going to put screws with the epoxy but changed my mind.
    Then I had a problem - I could right the boat by pulling on the centreboard, but could not climb in. Because the hull shape is fast and tender, the boat capsizes on top of you before you can get over the gunwale.
    After three rightings and capsizing, rescue held the boat so I can climb in.
    I am working on a plan to have a loop of strapping to create a foothold to stand on the centreboard.
    I think if I am standing on the centreboard when it comes up, I can do a quick roll/dive into the cockpit - not easy when you are 62 and over 100kg.
    Another problem I found is that I have not got good visibility in light wind as you are crowding the centre of the thwart - I need a window.
    Will let you know how much drama she is in a strong breeze.

Attached Files:

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==================
    The boat sure looks good! I'd be real leary of using a footstrap on the centerboard-if what you mean is actually putting one on the board?? If your foot gets caught then the boat could come down on top of you-and how would the footstrap work when you pull the board up? I may have completely misunderstood you......
    Best of luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.