13' sailboat ballast in need of repair.

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Kinger1, May 13, 2008.

1. Kinger1

Kinger1 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site along with sailing alltogether. I recently purchased a Guppy 13 for a very reasonable price but the ballast has been damaged quite significantly. I am looking for some advice as to how to repair it. My initial thoughts grind away all the damaged fiberglass until there was nothing left but the undamaged part. Next I was going to use fiberclass cloth and resin and build up the ballast like it was before, adding layers upon layers then sanding and finishing it off. I'm not sure if this is the correct way of doing this and could really use some information on how to tackle this project. This is the only area of the boat that needs work as the rest of the boat is in near perfect condition. I appreciate any and all information that you can give me. There are some pics below to give you an idea on how bad the damage is.

Thanks,

Troy

Attached Files:

2. srlong94@gmail.

srlong94@gmail. New Member

Did you get it fixed?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.