Velvet-Drive 71 (10-17)

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by gonzo, Jun 3, 2005.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The factory manual for the transmission has little information on the clutch pack setting for the 71. It is a generic 71 and 72 model instruction set. Is it supposed to be pre-loaded and not turn by hand after it is assembled, or is the piston binding?

2. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

Is what suposed to turn by hand.

3. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I think it is preloaded, there were springs around the perimeter of the piston, right? It's been a while since I've been in one of those.

4. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

What do you meen seting.have you put it back to gether and it doeset make good preasure?It takes no speacial tools to build them.well just one special tool more of a driver for the bushing in the middle.Just change all the old hard Orings look at the bushing to see if it is chewd up or if it's to loose.change the clutch plates and any chewed up drive plates and any broken springs.see if the pump is chewed up.slap it all back together then spin it up with a big drill with a homemade tool made from a old flex plate spline welded to a big bolt.check the preasure look for 120 PSI and let it rip.And you can spin a borg warner by hand at the input spline or the output coupler in gear or not.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I mean the clutch pack with the conical spring. The instructions in the manual say to put the assembly in a press and then install the snap ring. This preloads the small (reverse) clutches.

6. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

the small clutches are the forward clutches.What I think that funky flat washer spring thing is for mostly is to push the piston back in when you go to netral.The big clutches behind the front plate are the reverse clutches.that whole front plate is the reverse clutch piston.you should be able to move the little forward clutch disks around with your fingers of a skinny screw driver.check the gap between the big snapring and the fat drive disk inside of that ring gear drum thing that holds the clutch pack.It should be around .030.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think the piston is binding and that is why the clutch is not turning.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The piston doesn't bind but the spring puts enough pre-load that the clutches are engaged. The manual says to check for gap, but there doesn't seem to be any with the spring pushing. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

9. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

do you have the spring in up side doun?And take your dead blow and use the handle of it to beat the piston doun to make shure it's seated at the bottom.If that ain't it you may have your snap rings mixed up.Or you just need a thinner one dude.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.