torpedo

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Shuggy, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Shuggy

Shuggy New Member

Hi.

I have designed a fishing longline hauler that can be used of the beach [in NZ it is legal to haul 25 hooks this way] The hull is made of 120mm dia ally 1.000mm long with two 12v 7.4ah batteries driving a 30lb mercury trolling motor it weighs appox 16 kg and is torpedo shaped with the motor on the bow end and travels at 80 meters per min.The problen that I have is when the power comes on,the thrust flicks it on it side and it always turns right. Do I need to put a keel on it to make it go straight. Any help will be very much apprecitated. Cheers, Shuggy.

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Is the boat going right or is the motor going right while you hold the handle straight?

3. Shuggy

Shuggy New Member

the boat is going right. shuggy

4. yipster

yipster designer

thats torque and wheel effect, a keel helps but dont make it go straight. torpedos had counter rotating props. lined mine sweepers used fins to make them go paralel to the sweeper vessel. once searching i found how the problem was solved on single prop torpedos, wasnt that easy tho...

5. kjell

kjell Senior Member

Try to do this it, maybe works.

Attached Files:

6. yipster

yipster designer

flashing back now it wasnt that difficult eigther, a simple giro compas autopilot will keep it on course

7. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Control it with a hand held radio control transmitter. It will let you control the beast very easily. It can run off of the 12 vdc if you like. I radio control a 8 foot PT boat that has a 41# thrust motor in it. You could control speed and direction, no problem. Wiring is sized and all plugs. Piece of cake to do. Local RC Boat Club should walk you thru the job.

8. Shuggy

Shuggy New Member

cyclops your idea is great but as I live in a remote part of N Z,I dont think it would be easy to find an R C club, would it be possible for you to email or send me a drawing ,wiring diagram,parts list ?

9. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Will do. Give me a day to get my papers and I can scan them and send it as a E Mail for you to print out on a printer.

10. Shuggy

Shuggy New Member

cyclops
    I forgot to tick the email box on my reg form ,so I did not recieve your email on r/c for my torpedo. Cheers.

11. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I did not send any . I am wrapped up in a childrens project at a couple of schools. Keep reminding me. I will try to get a model boat club that has a web site and very experienced members. Keep after me.

12. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I contacted The Sub Committee, www.subcommittee.com -- It is a national RC submarine organization that builds large RC torpedo firing model subs. I asked their help to find a very sharp RC speed controls modeler to set up your longliner. Go to the site and send a E mail also . Between us we will get this done. Cheers. (Still a piece of cake.)

13. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

They ask you to post a Email message of what you need on their message board. They do have salt water submarine boat modelers who could help you. Good luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.