Thermal Imaging on Two Suzuki 115 HP Outboard Engines...

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by SuenosAzules, Jan 29, 2014.

1. SuenosAzules

SuenosAzules Junior Member

I thought you guys would like to see this. I just recorded this video a few days ago when testing two Suzuki four stroke, 115 HP outboard engines. I have found much more in engines, generators, hulls, decks, and electric systems using this camera. I still use the phenolic hammer and calibrated moisture meters as extra confirmation of findings on structural parts of the hull. This thermal imaging video was shot with a Flir E50 thermal imaging camera. The major benefit is by using thermal imaging it completely takes away any doubt as to what you are seeing when you locate an issue or problem. The video I have at the link below are of the two outboard engines running with a water hose at high idle during a survey. All of the thermal images taken were normal, but I wanted everyone to see the video to show how cool this technology is. The link is at:

http://youtu.be/orXQD0rJk-Y

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Really fascinating video. Just out of curiosity do you have any similar videos of an engine with a problem for comparison sake?

3. SuenosAzules

SuenosAzules Junior Member

Thermal Imaging of Actual Findings..

I do not have any thermal video of engine issues on this lap top to compare to but I do have some stills of some findings. Here they are:

[​IMG]

Honda outboard with a bad cylinder head.

[​IMG]

Plywood core deterioration on a fiberglass deck

[​IMG]

"Picture in picture" of bottom hull blistering on a sailboat

[​IMG]

Vapor leak on a wet exhaust hose on a Cummins engine (was invisible to the eye until the thermal camera caught it)

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I haven't played with one, but those pictures are pretty good evidence of how valuable thermal imaging can be. It almost makes me want to bow or a camera and take pictures of the boat as a base line for future problem solving....

Why can't cool toys be free?

5. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

If you can get one by all means get one. I have,and it's paid for itself many times over and likely saved my boat and maybe our lives.
    Helped out friends as well.

If you look on ebay they are quite pricey,however if you straight to the source..China..they are reasonable. $500-800 ought to get you a smaller one,say 120x160 pixels.

Also recommend a laser point IR temp. sensor..$60 on ebay for a decent one.

PM me if you want tips where to get it...

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I have a IR laser gauge, and use it all the time (I actually have a few since they are great in the kitchen). The cameras I have seen all look to be in the few thousand dollar range, which I just can't justify, but if you have a source I would be interested.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.