Single engine twin screw repower

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by akboy, Jan 24, 2011.

1. akboy

akboy Junior Member

I've been working on my 30' Luhrs to switch from twin gas to single diesel via
    a transmission/transfercase I saw about a year ago, but I can't find the link again. Any help would be appreciated. It was really slick because you retain the handling of a twin screw with the economy of a single engine.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

there was quite a bit of discussion on this ( one engine, 2 props) a while back on the forum and the general gist as I remember was a no go. Lots of reasons given. Do a search on this forum and see what you come up with.

3. akboy

akboy Junior Member

I searched all the forums and couldn't find anythig on this transmision,or transfercase.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

5. akboy

akboy Junior Member

Thanks for the links. The one from "dreamer" posted 3-12-2010 was it. Geared Up is the name of the transfer case.

6. seeds

seeds Smartass Member

Check the december/january 2010 Professional Boat Builder. They have a really good write up on the geared up system. Energy losses are estimated at 1% in each turn(4% total in the system). It's made by Geared Up Systems which is a division of Superior Gearbox of Stockton, MO. www.gearedupsystems.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.