Pulsing for Power in boats.

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by tom kane, Jul 28, 2004.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Pulse Tuning Induction Systems(and exhaust)in autos has been around a long time,so why not get your free power from this system in your boat.
    Carby,EFI,and LPG are in the options,plus Safe Remote Fuel Systems bringing in cool dense air will give you 100 percent volumetric efficiency.there is more room for this system in a boat than under an auto hood so it is possible to tune to the first second and even third reflected pulse,giving long runners to remotely fit fuel systems in a safe place.there are several computer programs available which can help you design a new intake system,such as Engine Analyser,and Controlled Induction and Controlled Induction Junior.There are formolas at Chrysler Cooperation data base from their developments also.tom kane

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

LPG piqued my interest. Is this a viable fuel in a boat with a closed engine compartment? What is the efficiency as compared to gas? Is it more cost effective to run LPG versus gas?

3. yipster

yipster designer

LPG or whatever its called at various places varies also a lot in price in europ. today on the water we were talking about LPG also. here LPG is four or five times chieper as gas (so LPG cars pay triple roadtaxes) ocasionally LPG comes up in watersport magazines, were even camping gas is mentioned. but there are no LPG stations on the waterside in this LPG country. also heard something they are gonna race its price. transport from the gas station other than in an aproved car LPG tank is illigal, plus you need your engines a bit modified. never came acros anything bad abouth the idea though. you lose some power while EFI ofcourse is always good but be aware of electronics that may tear your or your marinas brain out. i barely dear mentioning it but do belive the best EFI systems are in the car industry stil.
    [​IMG]
    pulse systems http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/pjetboat.shtml fascinate me also. read www.pulse-jets.com there are more system as ram, pressure etc. their simplimcity, often just a tube is unbeatable, consumption usual high, not free power as you mentiont. and not the easyest systems. do envision something like that for a underwater jet running on split water, thanks for the links, i'll check them when the screen stops moving.

4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

pulsing for power in boats

Corpus Skipper,there are many countries using LPG in boats,the information just needs searching for,start in UK websites if you are interested,tourist boats in NZ use it.
    New Zealand is forming Regulations for boats along the same idea as the Australians are proposing.
    Yipster,It ws not suggested that Pulse Jet motors be used in boats.Pulse Tuning of induction systems was the suggestion.There is a lot of information about that now ,because many modern motor cars are equipped that way now,especially
    Japanese cars.there is efficiency with the system,and it does not require power from the motor to operate it,so it is free power you would not have had before.18 percent should be attainable.tom kane.
    A website for Corpus Skipper.www.donsautopages.co.nz/alternatefuelslpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  5. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Long ram tube on old outboard motor induction port gave better start,idling and better touque in lower RPM range to off-set fitting Kort nozzle.this motor has static ignition setting because it can run forward and backwards.Modern autos run ram tubes so why not outboards,free power.

Attached Files:

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Let me get this straight --this is a normal 2 stroke outboard motor that some one has modified the ignition timing to zero so as to allow the engine to run backwards? Then stuck a pipe in the carb and claims better starting, idle and more torque. This is quite a claim as you will know that 2 stroke outboards have a variable ignition advance of 24 degrees approx. Is that the 'ram tube' I can see stiking out of the side there? I would have thought it would have been at the front where the carbs are.

can we see a photo of inside the cowling?

7. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Pulsing for Power in boats

It is an original 1960`s Anzani Magnatwin Electric.Battery start,starter is also the magneto in the flywheel,it can start in any direction by turning the key left or right.Factory original.Ignition is set static,no provision for advance and retard.An electric solinoid locks the outboard down for reverse.The carb is on the side where the long induction tube is fitted.There are many motors that have long induction tubes that enhance charging of cylinders VW should be well known.Many modern autos have ram tubes.Short tubes for high RPM torque,long tubes for lower RPM torque.They do not need to be straight, some curved tubes could be nice.see also thread Safe Remote Fuel System for Boats.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Mmmm well a bit before my time,-- I was only 8, did'nt start driving speed boats for another 4 years. Scott and Gale engines. Do you own this engine in the picture?

9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I have this engine now,because it`s electric start,I use it when I can. I have been given many old outboards and marine motors over the years,most are now with a local collector,to dangerous hanging around my place,they have a good home.I have another single cylinder Anzani long shaft too,Johnson, British Seagull,Pentas,Tas,and others still.They have been interesting to restore.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

This is probably the wrong thread, should talk about ram tubes, but I would like to see some pics of those old engines of yours and your workshop.

11. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

there is a pic of some of my old motors in the thread Old Outboard motors.

12. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Pulsing for Power in boats

It is interesting that Ram Induction Tubes to get great performance in boats has been neglected,yet is is simple cheap and does not impose great strain on the motor.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.