plasma propulsion

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by yipster, Jan 19, 2005.

1. yipster

yipster designer

it could be but isnt me in the movie and working on my swath waterbike may be wiser but here some info on plasma trusting:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/broadband/catalyst/plasma_hi.asx
    have a look at the basic idea in this movie

http://astp.msfc.nasa.gov/sciresearch/plasma.pdf
    electric propulsion brought deep space1 allready to titan

http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/prop06apr99_2.htm
    ion propulsion background

http://jnaudin.free.fr/lifters/howto.htm
    and some similar DIY experiments

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  2. Aquatek

Aquatek Engineer/Inventor

And lets not forget the mechanical equivalent...

...Of T.T. Browns electro-kinetic apperatus,...Sandy Kidds gyroscopic propulsion device:

http://www.gyroscopes.org/propulsion.asp

Which I'm sure you will agree is far more suitable for marine propusion than one requiring voltages of over 20KV!

When his book was published he was developing his device in Australia, as he could'nt find any finaciers in the UK who would take his device seriously (nothing new there then!) and his device was generating a thrust of about 3.5kg (8lb) against gravity!...The equivalent of about 4hp!
    With scaled up flywheels its may be possible to get a power to weight ratio similar to that of internal combustion engines but of course without the need to use a propeller or any other external drag inducing hull projections there would be a reduction in drag and an increase in effiency. ;)
    I have also designed my own gyroscopic propulsion device that differs from Sandys and has yet to be tested but I am confident that it may be more efficient than Sandys device as it has less moving parts. :D
    Like Sandy and many other inventors I am hampered by this present UK government who have no interest in funding high tech engineering projects and prefer to dumb everything down. :(

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Are we trying to get this to work in a boat, then?......

4. Aquatek

Boats, Ships and even spacecraft....In fact NASA are currently looking into using one or more gyroscopes to control the pitch and attitude of spacecraft, instead of having to use small attitude control thrusters which require fuel.
    They have recently constructed and are testing a 70000rpm lightweight composite flywheel model in a vacuum housing.

Regards

Aquatek

5. yipster

yipster designer

electric seatalk girocompas on the autohelm autopilot accepts nav coms from the laptop chart overlayed with arpa radar alarms
    ( all for the boat that is :D )
    ok, some loose ends by my poor management, but hey, what new planet is now discovered far beyond pluto having ice (H2O)
    maybe a "conventional" future gasstation? :idea:

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

FYI: The first two links no longer work.

I don't understand the last link, is there a pad under the floating object (under the table perhaps?) to carry the electromagnetic field?

7. yipster

yipster designer

its sad the first links dropped since it had clear experiments by an australian couple showing all the details.

thirth link still stands and gives some general info.

when you do a search you be amazed how much there is on the subject.

8. Aquatek

Whats making it float.....

The thing thats making it float is called "The Byfield-Brown effect", which, to put it simply, is the tendancy of a highly charged capacitor to exibit thrust in the direction of the positive electrode. ;)
    What they now call a "lifter" was patented by Thomas Townsend Brown a long time ago only back then he referred to it as his "electro-kinetic apparatus", so "lifter" while not actually being the correct term is certainly a lot easier to say! :D
    Basically you need at least 18000 Volts DC to make a "lifter" take off and the easiest source for an 18kv+ supply is the HT output from a computer monitor, which gives up to 25kV.
    You connect the positive wire to end of the large red wire that fits into the top side of the Monitors CRT and the negative can be attatched to anywhere convenient on the monitors metal chassis, but as far away as possible from the positive wire.
    The wires only need to be very thin enamel coated copper wire as they only carry a high voltage at very low current.
    The two wires are fed out of the monitors plastic case either side of the monitor to keep them well apart from each other.
    The positive connects to top wire of the lifter and the negative to the aluminium foil under the top wire....Switch on and away it flies!!! :eek:
    Its not that efficient though as an Aeroplane needs 150 Watts per Kilo to keep it in the air but a lifter needs over 380 Watts per kilo!
    One way to increase the efficiency is to increase the voltage but there are practical reasons that limit how much voltage you can use.
    The highest Voltage TT Brown used, that I know of, was 500000V at 0.5A
    When T.T. Brown demostrated his 500kV "E.K. Apperatus" to some US top brass in France back in the fifties they were so impressed they immedietly classified it as Top Secret and nothing more was heard about his work until many years later. :(
    Who knows how far they developed his appartus under the cloak of secrecy, but it could explain a lot of UFO slightings! :)
    Anyway T.T. Browns patent has long since expired and thats why you can now see so many internet sites describing lifters etc....Even NASA have there own T.T. Brown lifter site! :cool:

Regards

Aquatek

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.