Outdrive/Outboard Hydrofoils

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by jackb, Aug 15, 2004.

1. jackb

jackb New Member

If this post isn't in the right forum, or any other blunder I've committed, please accept my apologies up front.
    My question is: Has anybody got any info/numbers or experience with adding after-market hydrofoils (Stingray, Doe-fin, etc) to outdrive/outboard cavitation plates. The purpose would be to bring the boat on plane quicker by helping to "lift" the stern a bit (with minimum drag), to bring the bow down, and the boat on plane quicker...much the same as trim tabs would do, except lessening the drag penalties by utilizing the hydro-dynamic shape of the foils to actually provide lift.
    I don't know if I've stated all this correctly, but I'd really like to hear from people who know about such things, and compare this to anecdotal data that suggests quicker plane times and increases in top end, given by people who say they or some friends have "been there and done it." My thanks for your time and effort to educate a neophyte....Thanks!
    Jack

2. yipster

yipster designer

3. jackb

jackb New Member

Outdrive/Outbgoard Hydrofoils

Thanks much for the links to URL's with info on this subject. Boy...it seems like some of these guys are a little tough on other's ideas/questions!
    Something that I don't think was made clear...at least to me, was...is there a difference in energy required for trim tabs to provide "stern lift" as opposed to using the hydrofoils? It would seem to me that the tabs are creating more drag than the hydrofoils, to create the same amount of "lift".
    Jack

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.