Outboard Snowmobile engine

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by fish2603, Nov 18, 2005.

1. fish2603

fish2603 New Member

I think I have seen it before, even though I still haven't been able to find it online, an outboard engine that has snowmobile type treads on it.

The advantage is if you have a flat bottom skiff you can use a regular marine outboard in the summer and then change it to the tread engine for the winter. I think I have only seen it as an antique or in an old advertisement. If it was around, and it isn't now there might be a good reason for it, boats flipping over or something like that. :eek:

Has anyone seen or heard of such a thing, and if you have what would you call it so I could look up more information about it.

Thanks

2. yipster

yipster designer

have you read the modern paddlewheels thread? my guess it its in the "still to come" catagory, dont think i've ever really seen such a system

3. fish2603

fish2603 New Member

thank you very much for the reply

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.