New propulsion sytems for ships

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Guillermo, Dec 2, 2005.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

There might be a better location than in this thread. I'm thinking there is a large surface wetted area with some parasitic drag with it. My current hovercraft skirt has a lot of pressure in it (too much and similar to an inflatable) and looks someting like a Zodiac, the instant and huge amount of drag I encountered when I tried a banking turn caught me off guard and I came off cushion. I would think an RIB would have similar issues because of it's wide bow.

Keep it planing in a straight line and I think you will be fine, just be careful of tight turns, they will slow you right down.

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Didn't some ancient Greek do something similar with polished shields?:D

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

'Grand Luxe' seems to be a fancy looking canals boat, possible very difficult to handle when in strong winds. Propulsion system is not the extraordinary thing, from my point of view, but the very, very low draught.

5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Basically just Kort nozzels....tugs have used them for years

6. charmc

charmc Senior Member

You're right about the shallow draft, but "canal boat" is pretty much the intended use. The boat is unique, a floating art gallery and upscale shopping boutique for a limited number of very wealthy people. It's designed for navigating in protected waters only, much like a dinner cruiser. One reason the draft can be so shallow is that almost all usable space is open exhibit space, with little onboard storage. Supplies and staff are on a support boat which follows along. http://www.allbusiness.com/north-america/united-states-new-york/1023842-1.html

I wanted to view some art, but I did not get an invitation, as I am not mega-wealthy (I knew that already). :( :(

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

...........and the ripples or ridges on the prop blades?

8. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Machining! Nought else.

Pericles

9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Different thread, same answer, George. They are grinding/buffing marks; the surface of the prob blades is smooth.

10. kach22i

kach22i Architect

11. Guillermo

Humpback whales fins theory in action!

George, I humbly suggest you not to post such big images within the corps of the message, as they make all posts in the thread to come out of computer screen's borders. Very uncomfortable to read. Thanks in advance.

12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Every forum site reacts differently, oops on my part.

http://www.loremo.com/forum/board_e...&order=time&category=all&PHPSESSID=eec8554527
    http://www.freepistonpower.com/fp3.htm
    [​IMG]

13. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Zero emissions propulsion: proven technology

"German wind power leader Enercon GmbH is applying wind power to an "E ship" it has ordered from Lindenau-Werft, Papenburg, Germany, for delivery next year. The 130 m long LO/LO will be powered by a diesel-electric power plant and four 27 m high by 4 m diameter Flettner Rotors."

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/sb/ml0507/

14. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Zero emmissions propulsion: more proven technology

"Could nuclear power ever make sense for any ship other than an aircraft carrier, a submarine, or an icebreaker? The cynical answer is, 'Not if we shopped where the Navy shops.'

But a new generation atomic engine need not be the type of plant used in aircraft carriers. For years now, Rod Adams of Adams Atominc Engines has been proposing what he says is 'a reasonable and practical way to produce nuclear engines with power outputs of between 1 and 100 MWe.' The engines would be closed cycle gas turbines using nitrogen heated in a graphite-moderated nuclear reactor. ... The plan is to use series production techniques and the economy of unit volume instead of the economy of scale as the basis for allowing nuclear power to compete successfully with other fuel alternatives."

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/sb/ml0507/

http://www.atomicengines.com/ships.html

15. Guillermo

Thanks, Charlie. :)

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.