My outboard is spraying water at me

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by stonedpirate, Nov 21, 2014.

1. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

It's called "hunting" and it happens with other types of boats also. When the prop pops out of the water, the engine will over rev. The rev limiter will take care of this but the long term effect on the motor is bad as Mr. Efficiency has noted.

2. stonedpirate

stonedpirate Senior Member

Cool, cheers guys.

I'll do some more testing tomorrow.

3. rxcomposite

Do you have trim and tilt of the outboard?

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Try pars suggestion or drop the motor an inch or so . And it should be perfect. Make up the filler piece for the transom allowing for the 1 inch drop. Fill the drill holes and cover with sandwich plate and redrill the holes after you fit the motor and tighten the clamps. I was looking at some new quintrex boats today. I will go back And check the motor heights on them. Quintrex and stacer come from the same company. Telwater australia.

5. whitepointer23

Something I forgot to ask. Which hole is the trim pin In.

6. rxcomposite

Sometimes trimming the tilt will cure all if the cavitation plate is in the correct position.

7. stonedpirate

stonedpirate Senior Member

I'll try move the trim pin up a hole tomorrow. Its in the lowest hole.

I was comparing the stacer rampage with the quintrex busta. They are almost 100% the same boat. Slight difference on hull shape but interior layout and transom are exactly the same. I think most of the problem comes from yamahas unconventional 21.7" shaft. The suzuki, mercury, vortex and other outboards paired with these boats have the standard 20" shaft which saves 1.7" of hassle right off the bat.

I just like the yamaha brand and always buy yamaha but this time it backfired on me :)

8. whitepointer23

Its really not much of a problem. Just fix it. Moving the trim pin out now may not help. You should have tried that first. I apologise for not asking that first. I only mentioned quintrex because they are near me and I can go and look at them to compare . I didn't realise busta was a quintrex model name.:eek:

9. rxcomposite

Looking at the picture again, it looks like you have a vertical transom. Most transom are raked negative from 7 to 12 degrees.

There was a discussion somewhere in this forum before about the placement of the cavitation plate in racing boats. Like raising or lowering it will cause stern lift.

My experience is with hydraulic tilt. I trim the boat when it has reached top speed planing then back down on the throtle but still maintaining the same speed. This is the trim for bow up bow down attitude.

With fixed trim, you have to compromise, but with a vertical transom, not much can be done.

10. whitepointer23

There's nothing wrong with the transom angle. There are thousands of these boats all over australia. Manual trim adjustment is fine. You don't need hydraulics to trim it.

11. rxcomposite

I said my experience was with hydraulic trim. That is when the boat is in motion. Can't change trim by pin if boat is in motion.

Transom angle is usually negative to allow for trim.

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

WP23 is correct, the boat is a mass produced brand with the standard transom rake. I am puzzled by the cut-out height though, which appears too low for a long shaft engine.

13. whitepointer23

Fair enough. But it does have an angled transom as far as I know.

14. whitepointer23

I think it has a cutout for a 16 inch short shaft. Probably for a vortex/parsons. Because that is the cheapest motor telwater can supply with their package deals. The dealer should have supplied sp with a full height transom.

15. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Could well be. Not satisfactory to have to "fix" it as a new buyer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.