Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Propulsion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 07-14-2009, 08:11 PM
apex1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiquiri View Post
It is impressive but not unexpected to me. Kids have much more imagination then we (adults) do.
If we could have their fancy and creativity, plus our knowledge, I'm sure that some really revolutionary and marvellous stuff would come out of that mix.
Sure mate! I follow Mikes threads since the very first post now (and there is a regular PM traffic too), and was never bored to contribute, or reply to even the most "out of the way" thoughts.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 PM
jr member

Rep: 17 Posts: 20
if you could work out a proto type even in the one hundreds scale that would be something to see i think its a great idea 21st century
Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 AM

Rep: 921 Posts: 3,939
Location: Conn in summers , Ortona FL in winter , with big dock & room for O'nite stop .
A friend once came close to your idea , but his was for power generation.

In NYC the tides run strong , so his experiment was to power a reefer while at anchor.

He obtained an auto front wheel mounted on a spindle , and bolted it to the dock. Then he obtained about 100ft of old (free) fire hose , and made flaps the width of the hose and about 2 inches wide of 1/4 ply/

The flaps were drilled to be sewn to the hose every 6 inches or so.

Simply dropping a continuous loop of this hose over the bare car wheel and the stream tension stretched it out.

The little flaps stuck out into the current leaving the wheel, and folded flat for the return trip.

When the tide ran over 2K the force of the spinning car wheel was very strong , hard to stop from spinning with mere foot force.At 4K it was really impressive!

Sort of sails underwater , but for a different purpose.

Sorry to say he did not finish the experiment although he did obtain an old wind generator head , and drilled a Hockey Puck to ride on the wheel rim, like a bike generator. Winter set in , free cold in the food locker.

FF
Old 07-15-2009, 12:35 PM
designer

Rep: 1148 Posts: 3,484
never done a crossing but know there are tabel books with tradewinds and tides, most people use the winds
Old 07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Gollywobbler

Rep: 1615 Posts: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffin View Post
I have always wondered if you could somehow make a propulsion system based on an underwater "sail" system.
There's nothing mental in this regard.. Carthaginians (or phoenicians whatever ancient traders) used uw "kite" in deep counter current to sail against the surface current by the Pillars of Hercules..
But that was a bit different solution..
Old 07-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Engineering and Design

Rep: 3169 Posts: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Carthaginians (or phoenicians whatever ancient traders) used uw "kite" in deep counter current to sail against the surface current by the Pillars of Hercules...
That's why I love this forum.
I'd like to learn more about it, do you have some link with more info to share?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:53 AM
Gollywobbler

Rep: 1615 Posts: 2,358
I read that one ages (=decades) ago.. don't remember the source anymore.. sorry!
Old 07-16-2009, 05:24 PM
jr member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffin View Post
I have always wondered if you could somehow make a propulsion system based on an underwater "sail" system. I know the idea sounds stupid, but the sails are not going to be made of cloth, but you probably figured that out. The boat that can use these sails will not be shallow draft. I just made sketch of what it might look like when not on the hull of the boat. I got this idea thinking that the ocean has currents, and you could just stick to the currents that you want to follow. I posted a picture of ocean currents so you could see what I'm getting at.
REMEMBER: THIS IS JUST A MENTAL WORKOUT!
i found this today thouhgt you may want a look at ithttp://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6694910/claims.html check it out dont think you are the only one who has thought about it maybe it will help
Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 AM
apex1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shugabear View Post
check it out dont think you are the only one who has thought about it maybe it will help
But maybe the only one at the age of 13?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:14 PM
jr member

thats great you have such tanasity so young i wasnt implying harm but help
Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Previous Member

You could also use sails if the current is unfavorable.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:06 PM

Rep: 880 Posts: 2,930
Underwater sails... There is also a recent patent for one that is adjustable for depths. Apparently surface currents can go one way and not too far down they can be going 180 degrees opposite.
Attached Thumbnails
This is MERELY a Mental Workout-underwater-sail.jpg  

Old 11-07-2009, 01:07 PM

Rep: 453 Posts: 884
During the Salmon Season, Fish n Game might call it 'drift net fishing'

I used a big home made sea anchor in the straights of Juan De Fuca on my 22' Cedar boat.
I'd run out the straights, drop that Anchor and let the current take my back to Sequi about the same speed as the Salmon run. It worked very well, but dealing with that Sea Anchor was a pain.

From that experience, I dont think a Bigger Sea Sail would do any more for you than a much smaller Sea Anchor.