Are Marine Power diesel engines reliable

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by eclipse cruisin, Nov 9, 2004.

1. eclipse cruisin

eclipse cruisin New Member

I am looking at purchasing a 29 foot Luhrs for charter business, and have located boat with twin 270 hp Marine Power Diesel engines (turbo charged)

How reliable are they.

How expensive are the parts.

Are parts hard to come by.

Can I expect the same engine life as a CAT, Cumins, or Detroit Diesel.

Can anyone pass on some wisdom.

:confused:

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I would only buy this boat if the price is cheap enough to offset the possibility of having to repower or rebuild engines. All engines eventually develop problems, so local availability of parts and service should play a big part in your decision. These motors (in marine form) are not produced in large numbers in comparison to Cat, Cummins, Volvo, Yanmar so (marine) parts will necessarily be expensive. Arguably, the base motor has seen extremely large production in automotive form, and has been improved and groomed over the years to a state of the art product. Personally, I would only buy a used motor if it were white or yellow. Good luck!

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The ORIG factory sells short blocks for this engine ,
    cheaper than you can buy the kit to rebuild a med duty engine like a DD, Cat or Cummins .

If it goes , just swop all the marine goodies , and your in business.

FAST FRED

4. eclipse cruisin

eclipse cruisin New Member

thanks for your advise

Thanks for your advise, after writing the article i read some other postings which help me decide not to purchase the boat.

Thank you very much for your time.

Danny

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.